The Student Room Group

Am I still able to apply to Leeds, KCL, UCL, Newcastle, with these AS grades?

]
Would i be able to make a good application to UCL or imperial ?

Good luck with your ucas application too ! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ChiefKwen
My full applicant profile is: GCSE's: 6A*s 3As 1BAS-levels: AAAB ( Biology,Maths, Religious Studies, Chemistry) (in order)A2 predicted: ....Am I still able to make an application to leeds, UCL, KCL,Newcastle and maybe Oxford for medicine(competitively) ? Despite the fact that my peers will have higher grades than me usually. Sorry for the numerous amounts of threads on this forum which are like this. But advice would be appreciated greatly. -Thank you

Avoid Oxford due to GCSEs, they look at percentage of A*s at GCSE. But don't worry your GCSEs are amazing. Almost exactly the same as mine and I got into medicine. The rest seem pretty good. You just need to ace BMAT and UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mliela
Avoid Oxford due to GCSEs, they look at percentage of A*s at GCSE. But don't worry your GCSEs are amazing. Almost exactly the same as mine and I got into medicine. The rest seem pretty good. You just need to ace BMAT and UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice. But you are saying I should be fine for the other institutions ? if I do the UKCAT and BMAT
Reply 3
Thank you for the advice. But you are saying I should be fine for the other institutions ? if I do the UKCAT and BMAT

You should meet their requirements but double check the 2017 requirements. Obviously nothing is guaranteed and many amazing candidates don't get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys, sorry I have a similar question. My gcse results are 6A*s & 5A's and I got my AS results today. I got 4A's and 1B, the B in Biology. Ik the profile is still AAAAB but i am a bit worried because the B is in Biology, which is a preferred subject for medicine, so should I be really worried when applying for medicine in october? I got the A in chemistry and maths, along with my other 2 AS subjects.

The universities I am thinking of are Edinburgh, Southampton, Imperial and St Andrews.

Some advice would be great! thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by StanleyCurley
Hi Guys, sorry I have a similar question. My gcse results are 6A*s & 5A's and I got my AS results today. I got 4A's and 1B, the B in Biology. Ik the profile is still AAAAB but i am a bit worried because the B is in Biology, which is a preferred subject for medicine, so should I be really worried when applying for medicine in october? I got the A in chemistry and maths, along with my other 2 AS subjects.

The universities I am thinking of are Edinburgh, Southampton, Imperial and St Andrews.

Don't worry about the B. I got a B in AS chemistry and it was fine as long as your school will predict you the A. Edinburgh is quite UKCAT heavy, especially, when it comes to situational judgment band. Imperial is very BMAT heavy. Look into other places too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by StanleyCurley

That sounds fantastic. I can't give advice to you because we are in the same year. But have you started revising for the BMAT yet and UKCAT aswell ?
Reply 7
I have a similar question but more vague: with this profile where do I have a good chance of getting in?

My UKCAT score is 640 Band2 (I know it's not competitive :s-smilie:)
7A*s, 3As GCSE
AABB (AS level) but predicted A*A*(/A)A
Loads of extracurricular activities
Care home volunteering and two full weeks shadowing at a city hospital

It's likely I'll do the BMAT because of my UKCAT score.
My full applicant profile is:

GCSE's: 6A*s 3As 1B

AS-levels: AAAB ( Biology,Maths, Religious Studies, Chemistry) (in order)

A2 predicted: ....

Am I still able to make an application to leeds, UCL, KCL,Newcastle and maybe Oxford for medicine(competitively) ? Despite the fact that my peers will have higher grades than me usually. Sorry for the numerous amounts of threads on this forum which are like this. But advice would be appreciated greatly. -Thank you

100% avoid oxford as sadly your GCSEs are nowhere near what admissions would deem competative, there really is no point wasting an application.
UCL again your GCSEs and AS arent that strong for here.
Newcastle only cares about the UKCAT so it depends on your score, i would say 700+ is safe for here.
Leeds sounds good, its BMAT!
KCL unless your UKCAT is super high you may not be competative here.

Do not apply to 3 BMAT unis unless you have a very poor ukcat. Its such a risk!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KayleyC
I have a similar question but more vague: with this profile where do I have a good chance of getting in?

My UKCAT score is 640 Band2 (I know it's not competitive :s-smilie:)
7A*s, 3As GCSE
AABB (AS level) but predicted A*A*(/A)A
Loads of extracurricular activities
Care home volunteering and two full weeks shadowing at a city hospital

It's likely I'll do the BMAT because of my UKCAT score.

It really is best for you to go away and look yourself and come back with a clear idea and asking for a second opinion. I am not going to scour through admissions documents for you unless you have made some effort.

From the top of my head avoid any UKCAT heavy uni (newcastle, glasgow, southampton, plymouth, exeter, manchester, edinburgh). Other places you may want to avoid based on your overall stats include barts, KCL, cardiff.

I would say have a look at bristol, QUB, birmingham, liverpool, sheffield, UEA, aberdeen. For Bmat try BSMS or imperial if your BMAT mocks are looking strong, if not try lancaster, UCL or leeds.

Please go away and do some research in this! Hope it helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Natalierm2707
It really is best for you to go away and look yourself and come back with a clear idea and asking for a second opinion. I am not going to scour through admissions documents for you unless you have made some effort.

From the top of my head avoid any UKCAT heavy uni (newcastle, glasgow, southampton, plymouth, exeter, manchester, edinburgh). Other places you may want to avoid based on your overall stats include barts, KCL, cardiff.

I would say have a look at bristol, QUB, birmingham, liverpool, sheffield, UEA, aberdeen. For Bmat try BSMS or imperial if your BMAT mocks are looking strong, if not try lancaster, UCL or leeds.

Please go away and do some research in this! Hope it helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I was thinking about Sheffield, Bristol, HYMS, maybe Liverpool, Keele etc. I just find it almost impossible to find the same, consistent info. about how they'll use the UKCAT this year so I don't know if they're wrong the choices to make. From research though I thought that those could be decent choices..?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KayleyC
Thanks! I was thinking about Sheffield, Bristol, HYMS, maybe Liverpool, Keele etc. I just find it almost impossible to find the same, consistent info. about how they'll use the UKCAT this year so I don't know if they're wrong the choices to make. From research though I thought that those could be decent choices..?

I would probably day HYMS with that UKCAT score could be a little risky, but jt is your choice.
All of your choices excluding HYMS are big PS unis, it may be a good idea to throw somewhere less PS heavy in there such as a BMAT university or somewhere like bham. Dont go for all PS heavy unis (liverpool, bristol, sheffield and keele) because it is so risky as the PS is grades so subjectively. Make sure you have a few other options to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Natalierm2707
100% avoid oxford as sadly your GCSEs are nowhere near what admissions would deem competative, there really is no point wasting an application.
UCL again your GCSEs and AS arent that strong for here.
Newcastle only cares about the UKCAT so it depends on your score, i would say 700+ is safe for here.
Leeds sounds good, its BMAT!
KCL unless your UKCAT is super high you may not be competative here.

Do not apply to 3 BMAT unis unless you have a very poor ukcat. Its such a risk!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice and honesty. I will take the UKCAT and BMAT then come back here to explain how i did.
Reply 13
Bumv
Definitely possible; esp UCL! :smile:
Reply 15
Hi, I got 1850 band one on my UKCAT, which I'm worried won't be high enough for the UKCAT unis I want to go to, so I'm definately taking the BMAT. I haven't got as much time as I want to prepare for it as I originally didn't plan on doing the BMAT, so was wondering what advice people have on preparing and if anyone has helpful tips etc. Thanks
Reply 16
Please anymore advice ????

UCL or imperial application give my stats in OP ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending