The Student Room Group

Post A-Level Application with A*AA

I didn't apply to university for the 2016 cycle, deciding instead to wait, take a gap year and apply post A-Level.
I received my A -Level results today. I achieved A*AA in History, English Literature and Maths respectively. (English being remarked because exceptionally close to A*).
GCSE: A*AAAAAAAAB
Do I stand a realistic chance of getting an offer from Cambridge to read History?
How do the UMS work with post A-Level applications?
Reply 1
Original post by EzBB
I didn't apply to university for the 2016 cycle, deciding instead to wait, take a gap year and apply post A-Level.
I received my A -Level results today. I achieved A*AA in History, English Literature and Maths respectively. (English being remarked because exceptionally close to A*).
Do I stand a realistic chance of getting an offer from Cambridge to read History?

You have the grades for your course so you clearly stand a chance! Unfortunately your GCSEs are not so amazing but do not worry Cambridge won't even look at them since you have your A level results. it would be nice if you got that A* in English
Reply 2
Original post by EzBB

UMS is certainly considered if it's available.

Be aware that most successful post A-level applicants exceed the typical offer, so it would help if you did get the A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by BioOx
You have the grades for your course so you clearly stand a chance! Unfortunately your GCSEs are not so amazing but do not worry Cambridge won't even look at them since you have your A level results. it would be nice if you got that A* in English

Thanks - I emailed my preferred college and explained my situation and they said my application would certainly be welcomed, in view of the fact that I have already achieved their standard offer.

Do you have any advice about preparing for the entrance exam for History?
Reply 4
Original post by BioOx

I just had my remark back and my English Literature was moved up to an A*.

So my grades are now A*A*A - this should put me in a better position.
Original post by EzBB
I just had my remark back and my English Literature was moved up to an A*.

So my grades are now A*A*A - this should put me in a better position.

Yes, it does. :smile:
But don't forget a-level grade is just one aspect of application, and as @jneill said, many applicants for arts subjects exceed the minimum requirement.
So its important you make sure you use the gap year wisely to strengthen other aspects of your application as that what they expect from a gap year applicant.
Reply 6
Hello- have been given an unconditional offer to read history at Trinity Hall.
Original post by jneill
UMS is certainly considered if it's available.

Be aware that most successful post A-level applicants exceed the typical offer, so it would help if you did get the A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EzBB

Well done!!!x:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by EzBB

Yay! Congratulations! HAPPY DANCE!

:party::party:
Reply 9
Thanks - I now feel a Gap Year and post A Level application have been worth it!
Original post by jneill
Yay! Congratulations! HAPPY DANCE!

:party::party:

Quick Reply