The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dont go to durham - you'll end up an alcoholic like my maths teacher :biggrin:
Reply 2
do the one with economics, all the best people will be doing economics :wink:
Unless you're absolutely besotted with both subjects OR the subjects are taught by a single department I would never recommend a combined course.
Reply 4
Isn't doing a joint degree double the work of single honours? Anyway, for econ, more than likely they'll still want maths A2.
Reply 5
Georgraphy on its own sounds better. :smile:

What sort of career do you want once you leave?
Reply 6
Pencil Queen
Unless you're absolutely besotted with both subjects OR the subjects are taught by a single department I would never recommend a combined course.

have you done a combined course then?
Reply 7
Ellie4
Isn't doing a joint degree double the work of single honours? Anyway, for econ, more than likely they'll still want maths A2.

No, it's always the same amount of work. I'm doing a joint degree in Film and Literature. The modules in the first year were:

1. Film
2. Literature
3. Philosophy
4. English Language

I failed module 3 and they wondered why. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Pencil
No, it's always the same amount of work. I'm doing a joint degree in Film and Literature. The modules in the first year were:

1. Film
2. Literature
3. Philosophy
4. English Language

I failed module 3 and they're wondered why. :rolleyes:

Ah right ok, I just have a few mates at uni, and they say the people who do joint honours seem to do double the work, and feel like they don't 'belong' to any department.
Reply 9
Ellie4
Ah right ok, I just have a few mates at uni, and they say the people who do joint honours seem to do double the work, and feel like they don't 'belong' to any department.

surely its better since you belong to two departments :wink:
Quiksilver
have you done a combined course then?

I did one for a semester and a half before switching to a single honours course mainly because of the very bad organisation and consideration given for students who were only taking 2/3 or 1/3 of the modules of the bog standard students.

My 2 best friends were also on with courses, one which was quite closely matched to his major who didn't have many problems apart from a few timetable clashes, the other which wasn't closely related who had no end of problems - his minor subject dragged his degree classification from a first to a mid 2i...he was expected to have the same depth and breadth of knowledge in his minor as people taking 3 times as many modules in that subject.
Pencil Queen
I did one for a semester and a half before switching to a single honours course mainly because of the very bad organisation and consideration given for students who were only taking 2/3 or 1/3 of the modules of the bog standard students.

My 2 best friends were also on with courses, one which was quite closely matched to his major who didn't have many problems apart from a few timetable clashes, the other which wasn't closely related who had no end of problems - his minor subject dragged his degree classification from a first to a mid 2i...he was expected to have the same depth and breadth of knowledge in his minor as people taking 3 times as many modules in that subject.

your uni does seem very dis-organised! Why offer a course if you cant cater for it :confused:
Other unis seem to have far better provision for combined courses
Quiksilver
your uni does seem very dis-organised! Why offer a course if you cant cater for it :confused:
Other unis seem to have far better provision for combined courses

Really? how many combined courses at different unis have you done?:smile:

It's catered for very well - but only to the extent of modules slotting together - most students take a slightly different combination of modules and in a straight course they compliment each other, in a combined course you've always got that little bit less depth and breadth (unless as I say they're covered by a single department and so the modules from both subjects are designed to be complimentary - or you're devoted to both subjects and willing to put in a fair amount of extra time). Modules are in most circumstances supposed to be standalone but in reality the topics covered elsewhere will be important IF you want to get a good mark...managing to synthesise subjects which appear to be seperate on the surface is one of the best ways of getting marks equivalent to a first.
Pencil Queen
Really? how many combined courses at different unis have you done?:smile:

It's catered for very well - but only to the extent of modules slotting together - most students take a slightly different combination of modules and in a straight course they compliment each other, in a combined course you've always got that little bit less depth and breadth (unless as I say they're covered by a single department and so the modules from both subjects are designed to be complimentary - or you're devoted to both subjects and willing to put in a fair amount of extra time). Modules are in most circumstances supposed to be standalone but in reality the topics covered elsewhere will be important IF you want to get a good mark...managing to synthesise subjects which appear to be seperate on the surface is one of the best ways of getting marks equivalent to a first.

ive done ten in total :tongue:

i see what you mean though :wink:
Reply 14
Pencil Queen
managing to synthesise subjects which appear to be seperate on the surface is one of the best ways of getting marks equivalent to a first.

Do you think that's mor epossible if the subjects are closely linked? E.g. would economics and geography be easier to do than, say, economics and psychology?
Reply 15
Ellie4
Do you think that's mor epossible if the subjects are closely linked? E.g. would economics and geography be easier to do than, say, economics and psychology?

ive never heard of an economics and pschology course :eek:
Reply 16
TheWolf
ive never heard of an economics and pschology course :eek:

They're probably isn't one, I just made it up! Trying to find 2 unrelated subjects, that's all :biggrin:
Reply 17
Ellie4
They're probably isn't one, I just made it up! Trying to find 2 unrelated subjects, that's all :biggrin:

LOL ok

anyways Siany! - lets keep in mind even if you do Geography with Economics, ie Geography major economics minor aka BscGeogE, employers wont say, oh shes done a minor in economics, ill employ her...in other words, you wont get much better job opportunities if you do a minor Economics, its better if you do a more employable postgrad msc. On the other hand, if you do a joint course Economics and geography, its better in terms of jobs! but its alot of work load, instead of 50%/50%, expect 60%/60%
Reply 18
SiAnY
What shall i doo-ooo-oo?

How about "none of the above" and instead try doing a degree that has an outside chance of giving you paid employment at the end of your studies?
Reply 19
Howard
How about "none of the above" and instead try doing a degree that has an outside chance of giving you paid employment at the end of your studies?

Idiot.

Latest

Trending

Trending