Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

how to get A's in my National 5 subjects

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I started S4 in May and the subjects i'm studying this year are:

N5 maths, N5, english, N5 spanish, N5 modern studies, N5 chemistry, N5 music and N4/5 PE (Im not very good at practical - would it be hard for me to pass). I'm also doing 3xN5 psychology units but no final exam because we only have a limited time in the subject so we're only covering the essential stuff in order to do the units and pass them. And an rmps unit too...

I'm not sure if this is a lot I've been told some schools do 6 qualifications in fourth year and some do 8? I guess mine kinda adds up to 8; idek!
    I would really like to get an A in all my subjects as so far in school i've always had really really high grades and marks. If anyone has any tips or anything for me those would be really appreciated. I don't know how much I should study or what is most important to study?
    I also really want to buy some of the N5 revision/past paper/success guides/how to pass guides but there are so many different ones i'm not sure what's the best and they're rather expensive too. any suggestions?

thank you and all the best with your studies guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavemeblank)
    Hey, I started S4 in May and the subjects i'm studying this year are:

N5 maths, N5, english, N5 spanish, N5 modern studies, N5 chemistry, N5 music and N4/5 PE (Im not very good at practical - would it be hard for me to pass). I'm also doing 3xN5 psychology units but no final exam because we only have a limited time in the subject so we're only covering the essential stuff in order to do the units and pass them. And an rmps unit too...

I'm not sure if this is a lot I've been told some schools do 6 qualifications in fourth year and some do 8? I guess mine kinda adds up to 8; idek!
    I would really like to get an A in all my subjects as so far in school i've always had really really high grades and marks. If anyone has any tips or anything for me those would be really appreciated. I don't know how much I should study or what is most important to study?
    I also really want to buy some of the N5 revision/past paper/success guides/how to pass guides but there are so many different ones i'm not sure what's the best and they're rather expensive too. any suggestions?

thank you and all the best with your studies guys!
    Hodder gibson how to pass series for nat 5 are great imo, so buy some of them (not sure if they cover spanish/PE). Try doing a bit of revision every night (like 30 mins?). Also do plenty of past papers, many are online so you dont have to buy them.

Most important to study is n5 Maths and English, you probably need good grades in those (B+) for most uni courses.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Start your revision early on, maybe between now (October holidays) and Christmas depending on when your prelims are.
    Past paper questions are a must and you should study as many papers as possible for each of your subjects and are available free on the SQA website alongside Specimen papers for each subject which should also be looked at. You are lucky in that there are now 3 past papers for you to work with (without thinking of the Standard Grade Credit/Intermediate 2 papers you could look at, although some of these courses have some fundamental differences to N5), whereas I only had the 1 past paper. You could also look around the internet and see if any other sources have made practice papers, and Hodder Gibson make books of these if your happy to buy them (they were pretty good at Higher, can't remember about N5).
    If your subject has coursework then make sure you spend plenty of time on these as they can make the difference between a lower grade and a better one. English, especially, is a good example of this as you often start your folio near the beginning of the school year so you can keep going back to it every so often and refining it until the deadline.

If you want to concentrate your studies, then focus on English, Maths (getting a A-C grade in these gets you into most uni courses) and then any other subject which either relates to what you want to do at uni/career or the subjects you are continuing into Higher.
    Remember as well to take regular breaks, etc. You still have Higher to do afterwards remember.
    Good luck!

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.