Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently trying everything I can to make sure I have a strong application for a good medical university, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether universities such as Oxford, UCL, imperial and so on would be worth applying for or if I am highly likely to be rejected.
    My grades are as follows:
    GCSEs = 7 A*s (in all of the sciences, maths, a couple of languages and technology) and 4 A's.

I received my AS level results today, in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology and achieved 4 A's.

In terms of work experience I have spent time shadowing doctors at a GP, in a plastic surgery operating theatre, and volunteer weekly in the elderly ward of a nearby hospital.

I am also currently revising for my UKCAT and BMAT but have not taken either test so cannot share any results.

Having read the above could someone try answer my initial question?

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say without your UKCAT, but I can tell you now that I don't think you have the greatest chance of getting into Oxford, since you only have ~65% A*s at GCSE.
    It would be considered risky, also, to apply to so many BMAT universities, but if you are confident you will do well in it, then go for it! You stand a good chance, I'd say.
    Do more research into other medical schools, and see where you have the greatest chance of getting in, but you may have to wait until you get your UKCAT result before you can start making absolute decisions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Csd1999)
    So I'm currently trying everything I can to make sure I have a strong application for a good medical university, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether universities such as Oxford, UCL, imperial and so on would be worth applying for or if I am highly likely to be rejected.
    My grades are as follows:
    GCSEs = 7 A*s (in all of the sciences, maths, a couple of languages and technology) and 4 A's.

I received my AS level results today, in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology and achieved 4 A's.

In terms of work experience I have spent time shadowing doctors at a GP, in a plastic surgery operating theatre, and volunteer weekly in the elderly ward of a nearby hospital.

I am also currently revising for my UKCAT and BMAT but have not taken either test so cannot share any results.

Having read the above could someone try answer my initial question?
    Your academics are perfectly fine for Imperial, make sure you ace your BMAT and you should be on your way to an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    It's hard to say without your UKCAT, but I can tell you now that I don't think you have the greatest chance of getting into Oxford, since you only have ~65% A*s at GCSE.
    It would be considered risky, also, to apply to so many BMAT universities, but if you are confident you will do well in it, then go for it! You stand a good chance, I'd say.
    Do more research into other medical schools, and see where you have the greatest chance of getting in, but you may have to wait until you get your UKCAT result before you can start making absolute decisions
    Ok thanks, and by the way I didn't mean that I was planning on applying to all of those, what I meant to say is that I would like to put one of those as my top choice along side some more obtainable places!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Your academics are perfectly fine for Imperial, make sure you ace your BMAT and you should be on your way to an interview
    Ok thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Csd1999)
    Ok thanks, and by the way I didn't mean that I was planning on applying to all of those, what I meant to say is that I would like to put one of those as my top choice along side some more obtainable places!
    I'd just like to remind you that all med schools are good
    They are all GMC certified (apart from Lancaster, I believe, where you'd have to do an extra year to be able to get a foundation position), so all lead to you becoming a doctor, of course, different med schools have their benefits, but just bear that in mind

ReputationRep:
    Oxford really looks at your GCSE performance unfortunately :/
    I think you could consider applying to Cambridge, but you would need to have an high average UMS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.