The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

any ocr computer scientists here :smile:
Reply 1741
Hello everyone, sorry I'm a bit late (only a few months...) but I figured I might as well join in - this is the first time I've used TSR since GCSEs.
I'm Tom. I'm doing A-levels in Music, Maths, Ancient History and Geography. I hope to go to a music conservatoire to study percussion (currently top of my list is Royal College of Music, which amusingly I just saw has the lowest percentage of state-school educated students in the country. I am at a state school and always have been).
Original post by ithinkitslily
anyone doing any AS's this year??? they're coming up quickly now 😰

Yep, Maths and Further Maths are still old spec. Terrified if I'm honest! :afraid:

Being put in for all my AS's by my school! But if i carry on any of the subjects for year 13 the grade will be scrapped (apart from maths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NiamhM1801
Yep, Maths and Further Maths are still old spec. Terrified if I'm honest! :afraid:

aye same with maths, which modules are you doing ??
aye same with maths, which modules are you doing ??

C1, C2 and M1 (AQA)
For Further Maths I'm doing FP1, D1 and D2 (Edexcel)
C1, C2 and M1 (AQA)
For Further Maths I'm doing FP1, D1 and D2 (Edexcel)

Oh that's so cool I never knew you could do maths and further maths on separate exam boards! Is there a major difference between the two exam boards in terms of exam style and technique?
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Oh that's so cool I never knew you could do maths and further maths on separate exam boards! Is there a major difference between the two exam boards in terms of exam style and technique?

Yeah you can! You just can't mix modules (i.e. you can't do D1 on AQA for Maths and then D1 on Edexcel for Further Maths, since they're basically the same thing). There's not much of a difference at all really, there are more resources available for Edexcel though :smile:
Yeah you can! You just can't mix modules (i.e. you can't do D1 on AQA for Maths and then D1 on Edexcel for Further Maths, since they're basically the same thing). There's not much of a difference at all really, there are more resources available for Edexcel though :smile:

Oh nice! :biggrin: I'm on Edexcel for Maths and I've decided that I may want to do a Maths course at uni, so I'm looking at options and one way is to take Further Maths AS next year - how are you finding Maths and Further Maths?
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Oh nice! :biggrin: I'm on Edexcel for Maths and I've decided that I may want to do a Maths course at uni, so I'm looking at options and one way is to take Further Maths AS next year - how are you finding Maths and Further Maths?

If you're considering any kind of maths degree I'd definitely recommend Further Maths at least to AS (seeing as you're already in Year 12 it'll be unrealistic to do the full A Level) as a lot of universities require it. I'm finding them both really manageable, neither are really that difficult (but of course, this depends on the modules you do and what your strengths are). Because they are very similar, it does sometimes feel more like 1.5 A Levels rather than 2? So it really doesn't take away that much time. Would you be doing the new spec in that case?
Hi, I'm Ellen.
I enjoy skateboarding and I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A level. I want to become a surgeon and go to Queen Mary University (London)
Just got word back from the people I applied to do work experience with. They said that I cannot have a place since they are full EVEN THOUGH people who applied AFTER me got a place. What the actual hell?

I don't mind not getting a place, but at least don't lie to me about it.

law there's so much to learn i'm so nervous
Getting so close to first exams now! Curious to see how the second year of new spec biology chemistry and physics will play out since I'm sitting the AS this year
I got my mock results back today: AAAA out of AAAA*, in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science (all AS papers) and Physics respectively. I am very happy with them and I hope everyone got the grades they wanted :smile:
Original post by some-student
I got my mock results back today: AAAA out of AAAA*, in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science (all AS papers) and Physics respectively. I am very happy with them and I hope everyone got the grades they wanted :smile:

That's amazing. Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ErinMei
That's amazing. Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
If you're considering any kind of maths degree I'd definitely recommend Further Maths at least to AS (seeing as you're already in Year 12 it'll be unrealistic to do the full A Level) as a lot of universities require it. I'm finding them both really manageable, neither are really that difficult (but of course, this depends on the modules you do and what your strengths are). Because they are very similar, it does sometimes feel more like 1.5 A Levels rather than 2? So it really doesn't take away that much time. Would you be doing the new spec in that case?

Personally, I'd love to be on the new spec because this NM coursework has really been busting my gut as of recently. We're the last year to sit it iirc.
Idk why but I'm really excited for my AS exams.
Anyone who is doing AQA Religious Studies?

Latest