The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imateagirl
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Better late that never I guess?

- Introduce yourself
Hi, I'm Helena and I'm 16 years old. I'm bisexual and a vegetarian. I don't really know what else to say? I'm in the middle of my AS exams and for the most part they're going alright I suppose.

- What are your hobbies and interests?
Hmm, I used to play guitar. When I'm free I like to write novels and scroll through Tumblr endlessly. Wow, I'm so interesting lmao.

- What subjects are you planning to take?
I take psychology, biology, chemistry and maths.

- Your favourite subject(s)?
Definitely psychology :biggrin:

- Your ideal future occupation?
I plan on going to uni to study psychology and then get a doctorate in clinical psychology!

hiya! i'm esther
i take biology and psychology as well... i'm looking at maybe studying a joint biology and psychology degree, so i guess we are quite similar in that respect! what exams boards do you do?
anyone doing maths, please could you help me with the last part of this question?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=69953&d=1242594388

the answer is .3125
Am I the only one who feels like this whole uni application isn't real?? Like i don't feel old enough to go to Uni or anything. Just been to an open day at Exeter and I'm feeling so overwhelmed by this whole thing !!
Original post by Kxjzh
Okay so this is almost definitely just me overthinking...

But what do you all wear to your exams? I'm very self conscious in general which doesn't help, but I'm trying to plan my outfits for exams on Wednesday and Thursday and...well getting nowhere!

It really doesn't matter just no logo. Don't be like my friend who wore a periodic table hoodie to her chemistry exam
Original post by worksmartnothard
anyone doing maths, please could you help me with the last part of this question?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=69953&d=1242594388

the answer is .3125

anyyoneee?? still haven't solved it D:
anyyoneee?? still haven't solved it D:

X1X_1 and X2X_2 are discrete, so they can only take integer values.

Hence their sum is also an integer and P(1.3X1+X23.2)=P(2X1+X23)\mathbb{P}(1.3 \leqslant X_1 + X_2 \leqslant 3.2) = \mathbb{P}(2 \leqslant X_1 + X_2 \leqslant 3).

This probability is given by P(X1+X2=2)+P(X1+X2=3)\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 2) + \mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 3).

P(X1+X2=2)=2P(X=0)P(X=2)+P(X=1)2\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 2) = 2\mathbb{P}(X = 0)\mathbb{P}(X = 2) + \mathbb{P}(X = 1)^2.

P(X1+X2=3)=2P(X=0)P(X=3)+2P(X=1)P(X=2)\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 3) = 2\mathbb{P}(X = 0)\mathbb{P}(X = 3) + 2\mathbb{P}(X = 1)\mathbb{P}(X = 2).

(In the above parts, the multiplication by 2 is to account for when each variable takes either value.)

Now, P(X=0)=12\mathbb{P}(X = 0) = \frac{1}{2}, P(X=1)=14\mathbb{P}(X = 1) = \frac{1}{4}, P(X=2)=0\mathbb{P}(X = 2) = 0 and P(X=3)=14\mathbb{P}(X = 3) = \frac{1}{4}. So

P(X1+X2=2)=116\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 2) = \frac{1}{16} and P(X1+X2=3)=14\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 3) = \frac{1}{4}.

Hence the required probability is 516=0.3125\frac{5}{16} = 0.3125.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Integer123
X1X_1 and X2X_2 are discrete, so they can only take integer values.

Hence their sum is also an integer and P(1.3X1+X23.2)=P(2X1+X23)\mathbb{P}(1.3 \leqslant X_1 + X_2 \leqslant 3.2) = \mathbb{P}(2 \leqslant X_1 + X_2 \leqslant 3).

This probability is given by P(X1+X2=2)+P(X1+X2=3)\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 2) + \mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 3).

P(X1+X2=2)=2P(X=0)P(X=2)+P(X=1)2\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 2) = 2\mathbb{P}(X = 0)\mathbb{P}(X = 2) + \mathbb{P}(X = 1)^2.

P(X1+X2=3)=2P(X=0)P(X=3)+2P(X=1)P(X=2)\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 3) = 2\mathbb{P}(X = 0)\mathbb{P}(X = 3) + 2\mathbb{P}(X = 1)\mathbb{P}(X = 2).

(In the above parts, the multiplication by 2 is to account for when each variable takes either value.)

Now, P(X=0)=12\mathbb{P}(X = 0) = \frac{1}{2}, P(X=1)=14\mathbb{P}(X = 1) = \frac{1}{4}, P(X=2)=0\mathbb{P}(X = 2) = 0 and P(X=3)=14\mathbb{P}(X = 3) = \frac{1}{4}. So

P(X1+X2=2)=116\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 2) = \frac{1}{16} and P(X1+X2=3)=14\mathbb{P}(X_1 + X_2 = 3) = \frac{1}{4}.

Hence the required probability is 516=0.3125\frac{5}{16} = 0.3125.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much!!!
Thank you so much!!!

No problem :smile:. How did your exam go?
Original post by Integer123
No problem :smile:. How did your exam go?

For the most part it was ok I suppose? I was on Edexcel and the last part of Q.5 omg... I did something and managed to get an answer but there's a .95 chance that it's wrong lol (5 marks down the drain already, yay)
For the most part it was ok I suppose? I was on Edexcel and the last part of Q.5 omg... I did something and managed to get an answer but there's a .95 chance that it's wrong lol (5 marks down the drain already, yay)

At least you wrote something. Otherwise you certainly would get no marks :smile:

I was on AQA and found the paper quite approachable but there were certainly areas where you could make some errors, so we'll have to wait to results day to see :smile:
Reply 1870
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
Am I the only one who feels like this whole uni application isn't real?? Like i don't feel old enough to go to Uni or anything. Just been to an open day at Exeter and I'm feeling so overwhelmed by this whole thing !!

Don't worry you're not alone :smile: I've also just been to the Exeter open day and tbh it still seems like a long way off. Funny to think that in a year and a month or so school will be over for good...
Has anyone stared or began their end of year exam yet? I'm starting next week I have to get at least a D in all my subjects to go to year 13
Original post by Starlight15
Has anyone stared or began their end of year exam yet? I'm starting next week I have to get at least a D in all my subjects to go to year 13

In my 6form we have to sit the real AS in our subjects (and get D min to continue to A2) . Today was my last exam (Chemistry) . I hope you pass :smile:
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy

Honestly... I can't wait. School is literally the bane of my life, can't wait to go to university, I invite the responsibility! How was the open day at Exeter? It's definitely one of my first choice universities, hoping to study History & Politics (I was looking at Durham but realistically, I won't get in.)

I'm studying History, English Literature, Bio & Computer Science - sat all the exams so far and I'm planning to drop Biology next year, I think I did fairly decent!
Reply 1874
Original post by Starlight15

Ours are going on right now.

Original post by Wikia
Honestly... I can't wait. School is literally the bane of my life, can't wait to go to university, I invite the responsibility! How was the open day at Exeter? It's definitely one of my first choice universities, hoping to study History & Politics (I was looking at Durham but realistically, I won't get in.)

I'm studying History, English Literature, Bio & Computer Science - sat all the exams so far and I'm planning to drop Biology next year, I think I did fairly decent!

Exeter was pretty good - I went to the History talk and it was fine (slightly boring but maybe that was just the lecturer). Btw I'm doing similar subjects to you, just not Computer Science. That's quite a mix though you've got there!
Original post by F0X
Ours are going on right now.

Exeter was pretty good - I went to the History talk and it was fine (slightly boring but maybe that was just the lecturer). Btw I'm doing similar subjects to you, just not Computer Science. That's quite a mix though you've got there!

Has anyone been to a Cornwall (Penryn) Campus Open Day/been independently? First impressions? Thoughts on accommodation, learning facilities, general atmosphere etc.? I'd be particularly interested to hear from someone who's considering Geology or something related at uni.
Reply 1876
Original post by fish_and_chips
Has anyone been to a Cornwall (Penryn) Campus Open Day/been independently? First impressions? Thoughts on accommodation, learning facilities, general atmosphere etc.? I'd be particularly interested to hear from someone who's considering Geology or something related at uni.

Nope, I haven't. I have a friend who's considering Geology but I don't think they've looked at Exeter.
Please can people answer this quick survey! https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RW9CHJ9 Thanks, Rachel
I'm very late to this party, but oh well!

I'm Catherine :smile:
I like reading, getting involved in anything political, and a good party
I'm taking history, politics and English lit to A2, and I'm doing the first year of A2 German.
Politics and History are my favourites- and that's what I want to study at uni.
In the future I'd like to work somehow in government and politics- the civil service for example- or be a history academic.
Original post by ConfusedSnowball
hiya! i'm esther
i take biology and psychology as well... i'm looking at maybe studying a joint biology and psychology degree, so i guess we are quite similar in that respect! what exams boards do you do?

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I was busy doing my AS exams haha.
My exam boards are: psychology (AQA), biology (edexcel), chemistry (OCR A) and maths (AQA).
How did your exams go? :biggrin:
- Helena

Latest