Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was thinking of more entertaining ways of improving my spanish. I've thought about watching english movies/programs with spanish subtitles or watching spanish programmes with english subtitles. Are either of these methods effective and is one more effective than the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blitzchika)
    So I was thinking of more entertaining ways of improving my spanish. I've thought about watching english movies/programs with spanish subtitles or watching spanish programmes with english subtitles. Are either of these methods effective and is one more effective than the other?
    It does really depend on your level of Spanish. However, English with Spanish subtitles is no good at all; you'll soon ignore the subtitles altogether - your mind will just blank them out.

Spanish with English subtitles is good if your Spanish is pretty basic.

But the most effective method with films is to watch them in Spanish with Spanish subtitles! Seeing the written words at the same time as the spoken words does wonders for comprehension.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it really depends on your level. If you have a basic level I would recommend you to read books for children or watch cartoons because they have a more simplified grammar and vocabulary. If you start watching spanish movies but you won't understand what's happening and you will get bored very quickly. Once you can understand cartoons then you can start watching movies, listening to podcasts and reading spanish books. This is how I learned english effortlessly. I am spanish so if you ever have any doubts about the language you can message me. Btw, if I made any mistakes I would really appreciate if you could let me know

ReputationRep:
    English shows w/ Spanish subtitles will not work and I'd be very hasty about Spanish shows w/ English subtitles as well - either Spanish w/ Spanish subtitles or none at all.

I assume when you say 'understanding' you want to improve your understanding of the listening part of the language right? If so:

- As said before, watch Spanish films w/ subtitles
    - Do the same for TV shows
    - Listen to Spanish songs and read along with the lyrics.
    - Can listen to audio and see transcripts (read along) here: https://rhinospike.com/language/spa/transcriptions/
    - Can find Spanish podcasts (some w/ transcripts) and do the same thing.
    - You could find Spanish listening tests from various exam sites (w/ a transcript sometimes) and do the same thing + answer qs.

If you want to challenge yourself don't juist read the transcripts straight away, instead try and understand and transcribe what's being said, then double check after.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.