Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel really let down by my family due to foster child. Am I selfish? watch

It's been making me feel really bad lately, to the point where I felt like giving up altogether.

Basically I'm a uni student and I haven't been very well during my studies. My extended family insisted on me living with them for the next academic year and commuting to uni and paying them rent, which I agreed with.

They had allocated me a room, however they have said I can no longer have that room because all of a sudden they sprung it on me that they are going to foster a child and they need that room.

They said I have to have another room which is extremely small. I cannot even fit a single adult bed in this room and I measured the room and it is around 2m^2 smaller than what a landlord can legally let out. I'm not sure how I will survive and actually get my work done etc.

I feel extremely sad as I have already applied for a reduced loan and I go to uni in central london and at this late stage it is going to be difficult find and afford a private property.

Am I being spoilt? What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's been making me feel really bad lately, to the point where I felt like giving up altogether.

Basically I'm a uni student and I haven't been very well during my studies. My extended family insisted on me living with them for the next academic year and commuting to uni and paying them rent, which I agreed with.

They had allocated me a room, however they have said I can no longer have that room because all of a sudden they sprung it on me that they are going to foster a child and they need that room.

They said I have to have another room which is extremely small. I cannot even fit a single adult bed in this room and I measured the room and it is around 2m^2 smaller than what a landlord can legally let out. I'm not sure how I will survive and actually get my work done etc.

I feel extremely sad as I have already applied for a reduced loan and I go to uni in central london and at this late stage it is going to be difficult find and afford a private property.

Am I being spoilt? What should I do?
    I think you're justified in being upset! They shouldn't have offered you a room if it was likely they wouldn't be able to give it to you! If the room is too small for a single bed, or to study in, then its simply not somewhere you can stay. And given a lot of their time will be focused on the new child, doesn't seem likely you will get much of the support you were looking for either.

I'm not sure how ill you have been, or whether you'd be comfortable in living in a private property again, but its what I'd do. I'd explain your situation to the loans company to get a normal loan again. I don't know much about this, but I expect they wouldn't have a problem. And the same for your uni, to see if they can help with accommodation and money. There should be people within your uni who can advice and help you, and who know more than me!

ReputationRep:
    no that's not unreasonable at all... perhaps you should try and negotiate for a really low rent payment? then if you're saving enough you can spend almost all your time out and about and have extra money for those things?

if not, contact SF and tell them your situation has changed and start looking for rooms asap, there are always people who want out of their contracts last minute

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.