Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I held an offer for UCL Comp Sci (A*AA) and insured Warwick (AAA) but missed both my offers, was extremely surprised.

I believe I can still pull up my grades to A*A*A by resitting a few modules. (I do mean this realistically as I got about 80 UMS in M2, which was my strongest throughout the year). Also managed a D in G485, will get an A even with a B.

Maths - A (predicted A*)
    Further Maths - A (predicted A*)
    Physics - B (predicted A)

My question is would I still receive an offer for a course as high as A*AA if I reapplied in my gap year or am I pushing it with AAA already? How would I specify that I am resitting modules? In my personal statement, or would they assume I am doing so?

I really wanted to go to UCL which makes me wonder if I should try and apply for a different course with slightly lower entry requirements (AAA).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance By the way, congratulations to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteBerry.)
    Hey guys, I held an offer for UCL Comp Sci (A*AA) and insured Warwick (AAA) but missed both my offers, was extremely surprised.

I believe I can still pull up my grades to A*A*A by resitting a few modules. (I do mean this realistically as I got about 80 UMS in M2, which was my strongest throughout the year). Also managed a D in G485, will get an A even with a B.

Maths - A (predicted A*)
    Further Maths - A (predicted A*)
    Physics - B (predicted A)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance By the way, congratulations to everyone.
    Although I do different courses, I'm in a similar position. I'm guessing you were turned down by both your firm and insurance? My firm was natural sciences at Durham, A*AA and biology at UCL, AAA, but I only got AAB, in biology, geography with chemistry being the main let down, plus an A* in Epq which nobody seems to take any notice of.
    Everyone tells me they are still 'good' grades even though in my mind I have failed and might as well have got 3 U's since I don't seem to be going anywhere yet.

However there are plenty of courses at some alright universities which ask for AAB, in clearing, so do have a look at those which is what I have been doing all day. Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham seem to have plenty. They may be slightly different courses but give them a try.

If you are fully committed to resitting then that's fair enough and I guess this would have to be made clear in your application, I don't see why you couldn't get at least AAA second time round all being well. At the same time you should also consider applying to an AAB or even AAA course which may let you in unconditionally if they like you, as a back up. As well as in your statement, I'd say your reference should also make it clear you are resitting, so ask your sixth form to write you a new one if you reapply, and ask them for general advice.

For me, I find it hard to justify wasting a year over one particularly bad grade in chemistry, I'm not too bothered about the lack of A*, I may have been let in as a near miss if it wasn't for chemistry.

Good luck with whichever path you choose!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.