Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do too well in my S5 exams due to personal reasons and only ended up with four highers at BCCC. I decided against applying for uni this year because I didn't think I'd be made any offers with those grades and so I'm taking a gap year. However, I did not do too bad this year and got ABBB (one B was Advanced Higher History - I looked it up and it seems the majority of universities (at least Scottish ones) simply count this as an A at Higher).
    So, my question is this: do you think this would be enough to make it into uni to study history? I know a lot of unis ask for AABB for history (Dundee, Stirling, Aberdeen, etc...), but what do you think is the likelihood of me being made an offer based on those grades?
    Many thanks to anyone who responds :-)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Contact the unis and ask. They'd be best placed to advise you. Would you consider retaking?

ReputationRep:
    Hello TrailsofThunder!

Congratulations on your ABBB results!

With these grades, you can certainly get onto a good History course at University. If you are determined to apply to the universities you listed but are unsure as to whether you would be likely to get a place or not, the best thing you can do is ring and ask.

If you are looking to study outside of Scotland, more universities will be open to you. To name a couple:

Newcastle University - AAA - AAB
    University of Kent - ABB

I currently study History with Philosophy at New College of the Humanities in London and I would highly recommend their History course! The great thing about the History course at NCH is that it is taught through a mixture of one-to-one tutorials, seminars and lectures, and whilst grades are important, NCH invites applicants to interview and so the university looks at you beyond your grades.

My advice would be to apply for a number of universities, both above and below your current results as it is important to have a good mixture of universities and courses in case you are not accepted into certain courses etc. Your doors are very much open so good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Contact the unis and ask. They'd be best placed to advise you. Would you consider retaking?
    Thanks for answering. 😊 Will do! I will contact all the unis and ask.On the subject of resitting, I probably wouldn't resit because the Scottish system is pretty complex when it comes to that. The best time to resit exams is in sixth year. However, the subjects I got C's in were Maths (which even the SQA were forced to admit they totally messed up in 2015), Biology and Modern Studies. Not my best or favourite subjects, so I elected just to do different Highers in S6 and just obtain more highers and get better grades in them. Also, Scottish unis kind of look down on resits, so I thought this was the best course of action.To resit now since I've left school, I'd have to apply to a college to do Highers which would be complicated because I didn't apply for UCAS this year because I decided on a gap year (so I don't have anything ready for a last minute plight to apply and see if any places are still available). So I'd have to wait another year just to apply and see if they'd take me.
    Also, in Scotland, resitting differs from resitting A-levels in, say, England or Wales. I think they only need to retake the units they need to improve on and don't have to do it over an entire year (but don't quote me on that) whereas Scottish students need to resit the entire course so that would be another year.
    At that point, if I didn't go for university, I'd probably just be better going for a HND in Social Sciences or something that would lead to History at university.
    Sorry for the long response lol In short, probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollieCharge)
    Hello TrailsofThunder!

Congratulations on your ABBB results!

With these grades, you can certainly get onto a good History course at University. If you are determined to apply to the universities you listed but are unsure as to whether you would be likely to get a place or not, the best thing you can do is ring and ask.

If you are looking to study outside of Scotland, more universities will be open to you. To name a couple:

Newcastle University - AAA - AAB
    University of Kent - ABB

I currently study History with Philosophy at New College of the Humanities in London and I would highly recommend their History course! The great thing about the History course at NCH is that it is taught through a mixture of one-to-one tutorials, seminars and lectures, and whilst grades are important, NCH invites applicants to interview and so the university looks at you beyond your grades.

My advice would be to apply for a number of universities, both above and below your current results as it is important to have a good mixture of universities and courses in case you are not accepted into certain courses etc. Your doors are very much open so good luck!
    Thank you! 😊 You have definitely put my mind at ease!

Also, congrats to you for getting into NCH! I wish I could afford to go to London lol - it sounds like it would be an experience :-)

I will be contacting the unis like you said just to see what they say. And I will also heed your advice and vary my options when I apply to ensure I get into somewhere.

I've also been informed by one of my friends who went through the application process this year that since we attended a low progression school, students in our school were able to be offered lower requirements than students from better schools. So, I have even more reason to hope!

Again, thanks 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrailsOfThunder)
    Thank you! 😊 You have definitely put my mind at ease!

Also, congrats to you for getting into NCH! I wish I could afford to go to London lol - it sounds like it would be an experience :-)

I will be contacting the unis like you said just to see what they say. And I will also heed your advice and vary my options when I apply to ensure I get into somewhere.

I've also been informed by one of my friends who went through the application process this year that since we attended a low progression school, students in our school were able to be offered lower requirements than students from better schools. So, I have even more reason to hope!

Again, thanks 😊
    No problem at all, I'm glad I helped!

Sounds like you are feeling much better about the whole thing so that's fantastic!

I wish you all the best of luck wherever you end up studying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.