Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

London Daily travel zone 1 - advice needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So i'll be studying at ICL this coming October for a MSc (12mths) and I can't seem to get my head around the fares with tube/buses and so I'm trying to figure out the best option on which fare option to go for on a daily: Annual/Monthly Travelcard (with 18+ student Oyster) or PAYG Oyster (with Annual Card)

I found a decent flat in Paddington, so I should expect to do the following:

3-4x a week: Paddington -> S.Kensington /return
    Once a week: Paddington -> Other Zone 1s /return

I don't think I'll be travelling out of Zone 1 on a regular basis. Annual travelcard seems to be the easiest choice but there are times where I won't be in London (holidays, possibly work-placements outside London, etc).

Your advice/thoughts will be appreciated! I think it'll also help me to set aside a realistic weekly/monthly budget for daily travels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HayThereMardyBum)
    Hey guys,

So i'll be studying at ICL this coming October for a MSc (12mths) and I can't seem to get my head around the fares with tube/buses and so I'm trying to figure out the best option on which fare option to go for on a daily: Annual/Monthly Travelcard (with 18+ student Oyster) or PAYG Oyster (with Annual Card)

I found a decent flat in Paddington, so I should expect to do the following:

3-4x a week: Paddington -> S.Kensington /return
    Once a week: Paddington -> Other Zone 1s /return

I don't think I'll be travelling out of Zone 1 on a regular basis. Annual travelcard seems to be the easiest choice but there are times where I won't be in London (holidays, possibly work-placements outside London, etc).

Your advice/thoughts will be appreciated! I think it'll also help me to set aside a realistic weekly/monthly budget for daily travels.
    You can also use a contactless bank card on tfl, if you have one. The fares are the same as using Oyster but you only have to make sure that you have enough money in your account or that you are within your overdraft limit as you would for any other purchase, rather than have money'tied up' in the Oyster card.

Does this help-

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...on-this-page-1

ReputationRep:
    Hi HayThereMardyBum,

have you decided on what to get by now? I'm in the same position as you are (MSc at ICL) and still try to figure out what to do.

Since I really don't know how much I'll use the tube yet, it is kinda hard to decide which travelcard (or Pay as you go) to get ...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studbs)
    Hi HayThereMardyBum,

have you decided on what to get by now? I'm in the same position as you are (MSc at ICL) and still try to figure out what to do.

Since I really don't know how much I'll use the tube yet, it is kinda hard to decide which travelcard (or Pay as you go) to get ...

Thanks!
    Hey! My apologies for the late response. Where do you live?

As I'm based in Paddington, I've tried and tested several options; i.e. Tube and Bus and much preferred Bus.

For tube:
    Although it's fairly straightforward, (From paddington use the circle/district line) upon reaching South Kensington station, I realized is actually quite a walk to reach, especially the really long underground tunnel. The walk is also slightly upwards so it can get really tiring -- albeit faster.

I spend about 3-4 days a week going so with a tube I'd spend about £4.80 and up to £6.50 capped.. This would add up from £19.5 to £26 a week if I had continue this method.

Bus:
    With the bus, it takes me two bus trips per journey to college, stopping at Prince's Gates which is just 2 minutes walk to reach the Exhibition Road entrance.

A bus ride costs £1.50 per trip but caps at £4.50 -- which is about £13.5 to £18 a week.

Hope that helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.