Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a student nurse who was supposed to qualify, register in like a month. And graduation in cotober.

I have been signed off in my final placement, even got a job offer.

But, I completely messed up my OSCE and one assignment in second semester of final year and the exam boar decided to give me a "diploma of higher education in health and social care"

I am going to meet with the course director soon but I just want to know is this over for me? Can I still be a nurse?

Is it possible to go back and do the third year all over again?

I don't want this to be the end, I am competent I know this for sure. In my OSCE nerves just completely took their toll and I started making stupid mistakes I would never ever make in practice out on the wards. I have had 2 attempts for both the OSCE and essay, final grades for both were 35% (essay) and 30% (OSCE)

Any words of advice will help.

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by iheartLDN)
    I am a student nurse who was supposed to qualify, register in like a month. And graduation in cotober.

I have been signed off in my final placement, even got a job offer.

But, I completely messed up my OSCE and one assignment in second semester of final year and the exam boar decided to give me a "diploma of higher education in health and social care"

I am going to meet with the course director soon but I just want to know is this over for me? Can I still be a nurse?

Is it possible to go back and do the third year all over again?

I don't want this to be the end, I am competent I know this for sure. In my OSCE nerves just completely took their toll and I started making stupid mistakes I would never ever make in practice out on the wards. I have had 2 attempts for both the OSCE and essay, final grades for both were 35% (essay) and 30% (OSCE)

Any words of advice will help.

Thank you
    Generally you can resit but the whole course has to be completed within 5 years as per NMC requirements. Whether you are allowed to is really at the discretion of the uni and whether they believe you have a chance of passing. Some will make you redo the whole of 3rd year whereas others will put you in at the point you failed. You should still get a bursary if this is the case as this is a continuation of your studies but you should be prepared for the possibility that this might not happen.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any experience of this, but it sounds as though the meeting with the course director could be really important. Make sure you understand exactly where you went wrong and have an idea of how you would ensure that you would achieve a positive outcome if given another opportunity. They have probably heard a million excuses before, so if there is mitigation, be thoughtful in how you express this, keeping a focus on looking forward. Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. The outcome was not what I hoped for. The decision is final and I do have a right to appeal but I have decided against that as I doubt very much it would be successful.

My options were

- apply elsewhere as I cannot redo third year at my current uni (was advised to expect a lot of 'no's)
    - work as a band 4 nurse associate and then get seconded onto a program which allows me to get a degree and register as a nurse

I don't know what to do so disappointed with myself. But I'll take my time to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    I am really sorry to hear that. I think you should reconsider appealing. When something goes to appeal, it is often new people, not previously involved in the process who review what has happened and take a decision. They might just see things differently. Or your tenacity might lead to alternatives being offered.

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading on another forum of a 3rd year nursing student who failed the last assignment, twice, thus failing the course. She had to redo the whole three years elsewhere. I don't think you can transfer beyond the first year in nursing, which is why she had to redo the whole three years, very harsh if you ask me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.