The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

I studied at City University London - AMA

Congrats to all new starters at City University London! I studied Computer Science for 4 years and now I'm on a graduate scheme for Sky. For those starting, reply with your questions!

I'll try to answer everything I know about living in halls, uni, courses, places to eat, career prospects, nightlife, etc..

Or you can PM me if there's anything you want to discuss privately.

Go!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by UWS
Congrats to all new starters at City University London! I studied Computer Science for 4 years and now I'm on a graduate scheme for Sky. For those starting, reply with your questions!

I'll try to answer everything I know about living in halls, uni, courses, places to eat, career prospects, nightlife, etc..

Go!

Hello :smile:
I have a question:
I just submitted my accommodation application and I am late so they said that they cannot guarantee I will have a room.
Do you know if even the late applicants can have a room from the university ?
Otherwise I have to start searching elsewhere
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by UWS

Go!

What do you do on your graduate scheme? What is computer science like? Do you have to be good at maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Sasabp
Hello :smile:
I have a question:
I just submitted my accommodation application and I am late so they said that they cannot guarantee I will have a room.
Do you know if even the late applicants can have a room from the university ?
Otherwise I have to start searching elsewhere

I'm afraid I don't know what the process is if you can't find halls from the uni. My best advice is to look into house sharing. Angel isn't the most expensive of places to live in that area so definitely look into it
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
What do you do on your graduate scheme? What is computer science like? Do you have to be good at maths?

I am currently a DevOps engineer so I will be configuring servers, developing tools for automation and stuff like monitoring.

Computer Science is a tough course. I'm not going to lie. The majority of your time will be practising coding. Depending on your background, it could take some time to get used to it. It's an intensive course and you won't get much free time but our year had about 40% who got a first in pure Computer Science so students tend to do well, if you work hard.

Maths... At City you barely do any proper maths. First year you do Maths in Computing but it's really basic Decision/Statistics based Maths. You don't have to be good at Maths to do well here, it's simple.

If you choose Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence then it will be more Maths based than Computer Science but overall it's not so bad.
Reply 5
Whats the uni like socially?

Also, is it good employability wise, like do they hold events and opportunities to volunteer, add to your CV and build your skills? (Im studying Economics so any events related to that would be really appreciated)

Reply 6
How much help do they give you with learning how to code? I have knowledge in visual basic from my A level and C#. I understand the jump from VB to java to be quite high.Did you have to do the programming bootcamp in the first couple weeks? If so how intense is it and how much help is given?
Reply 7
Original post by MVA786
Whats the uni like socially?

Also, is it good employability wise, like do they hold events and opportunities to volunteer, add to your CV and build your skills? (Im studying Economics so any events related to that would be really appreciated)

The uni is terrible for social events, they don't organise many student nights except during freshers week and the turnout rate for students at these events (bar freshers week) is poor. If you are into clubbing, I suggest you find a group of friends and go somewhere in London to have a good night. I don't want to put you off but I also don't want you to be disappointed! The students are friendly and you will make friends but the social aspect of events is not so good.

City has one of the best rates for employability. We have a career service where you can book 1 to 1 appointments to get your CV checked and to prepare for interviews. It's so good and you should give it a go. I suggest doing a placement for your course if it allows it because it's so helpful for when you graduate.
Reply 8
Original post by MrSplash
How much help do they give you with learning how to code? I have knowledge in visual basic from my A level and C#. I understand the jump from VB to java to be quite high.Did you have to do the programming bootcamp in the first couple weeks? If so how intense is it and how much help is given?

The bootcamp thing was introduced a year after I started at City so I never did it myself. Having said that, people have said that while boring, it does help a lot with learning Java. I don't think Java is a hard language at all. You can easily learn and practice from tutorials on Youtube :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, I'm studying computer science at city university London, what advise should you give myself and other pupil studying this course. Also what is recommended for computer science, a MacBook or labtop that runs Windows.

Price is not a issue.
Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Jusgugs
Hi, I'm studying computer science at city university London, what advise should you give myself and other pupil studying this course. Also what is recommended for computer science, a MacBook or labtop that runs Windows.

Price is not a issue.
Thanks

All of your lab classes are done on Windows and a lot of the software they use run on Windows so I would suggest getting a Windows laptop.

As far as advice goes, I would say work hard and make use of all the learning resources. It's a tough course so you need to keep practicing in order to understand the concepts of programming in Java for example. For coursework, definitely do NOT leave it until the last few days to do it. Start as early as possible so you have time to get help from your lecturer if needed.
Reply 11
Original post by UWS
The uni is terrible for social events, they don't organise many student nights except during freshers week and the turnout rate for students at these events (bar freshers week) is poor. If you are into clubbing, I suggest you find a group of friends and go somewhere in London to have a good night. I don't want to put you off but I also don't want you to be disappointed! The students are friendly and you will make friends but the social aspect of events is not so good.

City has one of the best rates for employability. We have a career service where you can book 1 to 1 appointments to get your CV checked and to prepare for interviews. It's so good and you should give it a go. I suggest doing a placement for your course if it allows it because it's so helpful for when you graduate.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Im not into clubbing n nights out so thats fine for me lol.
Mainly the employability opportunities are important for me. but I am a bit nervous about making friends hopefully once my course starts that will help!

What are the good aspects of the uni in your opinion please?
Reply 12
Original post by MVA786
Thanks for your reply :smile:
Im not into clubbing n nights out so thats fine for me lol.
Mainly the employability opportunities are important for me. but I am a bit nervous about making friends hopefully once my course starts that will help!

What are the good aspects of the uni in your opinion please?

I would say the good aspects are the job prospects and the careers service. A lot of courses here, including Computer Science offer a placement year and there's a really good careers service where you can book appointments to speak with an adviser to help with your CV and applications.
Reply 13
Can you run me through the first week of uni / freshers week?
Reply 14
Reply 15
Original post by mselby

Yeah, this is the welcome week at uni. You may get some introduction lectures or classes depending on the uni during this week. But most of the time it's your opportunity to join societies, meet new people and sign up for sports teams. City University have a freshers fair every freshers week and this is where you can join societies and sports teams. I believe it will be in the CitySport building. I recommend you visit as it's a lot of fun and you can meet lots of new people! Be sure to get in early as there's always a long queue to go inside.

If you are a clubbing person, then City University have 1 or 2 events during that week so be sure to check out the freshers page on Facebook, or if you don't have Facebook check out the Student Union website here.

https://www.culsu.co.uk/

You can also look at the timetable on the website to see what kind of other events are going on during this week. The student union tend to organise meet ups and get togethers for freshers so it's a good chance to make friends if you're not keen on clubbing.
Original post by UWS

Go!

How do you get your timetable?
When I'm logged onto the portal it says timetabling I click on it but the timetable for my course is very confusing and is full of activities all at the same time.
Do they send me a personalised one?
Original post by UWS

Go!

yo i PM'ed u
Reply 18
Original post by shazy2014
How do you get your timetable?
When I'm logged onto the portal it says timetabling I click on it but the timetable for my course is very confusing and is full of activities all at the same time.
Do they send me a personalised one?

Go here
https://sws.city.ac.uk/tt1617/default.aspx

Then on the left click on "programme" and then follow through and click the different list items according to your course/year and term.

List will list them out in a table, but the grid view will stick it into a calendar so you can visually see when your classes are. Let me know if you have any issues
Original post by UWS
Go here
https://sws.city.ac.uk/tt1617/default.aspx

Then on the left click on "programme" and then follow through and click the different list items according to your course/year and term.

List will list them out in a table, but the grid view will stick it into a calendar so you can visually see when your classes are. Let me know if you have any issues

Thanks
I've had a look but it's very confusing as my timetable overlaps
For example, at 10:00 I have three possible things I could attend
Then at 12:00 I have a choice of four things
How am I meant to know which one to go to, because this keeps happening throughout the weeks timetabled?
Because I don't know my modules yet, will they get given to me?

Quick Reply