Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No progress in drama and theatre career. I like to get into musical theatre or makeup artist in theatre/film. I was looking into being a writer or editor even though my writing isn't very good.

Please help, I'm so lost on what I should do. I was going to makeup school but I'm unsure about getting the funds

ReputationRep:
    Hello. College and Uni courses in Acting/Drama/Dance or such like are a waste of time.If you want to become a professional actor nine times out of ten you HAVE to go to Drama School. The same applies if you want to do Musical Theatre. With that though you will need to have had many years of dance training,especially in classical ballet,before auditioning for Stage School/Performing Arts Schools at age 16 or 18 usually. I don't know why local colleges advertise their Performing Arts courses and say if you do this course you will become a professional actor or dancer. If that was the case then no-one would bother auditioning to RADA, Central School of Speech and Drama, The Royal Ballet School or such like. I trained in classical ballet and other forms of dance for eight and a half years. This is quite normal to become a professional dancer though. With acting, many people audition for Drama School at age 18 with no or little previous experience. It all depends on the audition on the day if you are accepted or not.

(Original post by markova21)
    Hello. College and Uni courses in Acting/Drama/Dance or such like are a waste of time.If you want to become a professional actor nine times out of ten you HAVE to go to Drama School. The same applies if you want to do Musical Theatre. With that though you will need to have had many years of dance training,especially in classical ballet,before auditioning for Stage School/Performing Arts Schools at age 16 or 18 usually. I don't know why local colleges advertise their Performing Arts courses and say if you do this course you will become a professional actor or dancer. If that was the case then no-one would bother auditioning to RADA, Central School of Speech and Drama, The Royal Ballet School or such like. I trained in classical ballet and other forms of dance for eight and a half years. This is quite normal to become a professional dancer though. With acting, many people audition for Drama School at age 18 with no or little previous experience. It all depends on the audition on the day if you are accepted or not.
    Thanks

I know and I have tried to build a career in acting and tried about 20 drama schools. Still no progression. I have a speech disability and that always goes against me no matter how hard I improve. Thats why maybe musical theatre might be best or the other roles I mentioned in the theatre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks

I know and I have tried to build a career in acting and tried about 20 drama schools. Still no progression. I have a speech disability and that always goes against me no matter how hard I improve. Thats why maybe musical theatre might be best or the other roles I mentioned in the theatre
    OK. If you have problems with your speech then I would say that completely rules out being an actor. Can you sing? Do you have "a voice" at all? I took one to one singing lessons once a week for about a year at the Manchester School of Music. No audition required as such, but I had to sing a little bit just so they knew what my vocal range was so knew which teacher to put me with. Other options are courses like Stage Management, Directing,Lighting Technician,etc. There are lots of different jobs required in a theatre.

ReputationRep:
    You could start buying the weekly newspaper The Stage. It comes out every Thursday. Well it used to do anyway. At the back are advertisements for lots of different theatre related training courses, as well as auditions for dancers at Pineapple,etc. [Takes me back] !!

ReputationRep:
    Just thought of something else. You could contact your local theatre. Ask if you could help out backstage during rehearsals to learn the ropes. A friend of mine started doing this. Then because he had gained experienced he was accepted on to a degree course in Stage Management,which led to a permanent job working backstage at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.!

Ok thanks so much for advice

I can sing a little yes and told by a voice coach that I was good and can improve. I don't think its good enough for musical theatre. Its a bit difficult finding a good musical theatre course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.