Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new here but I need advice. So I've never worked part time before. The only job I've ever had is a paper round which I've had since I was 14 (I'm now 16), and I desperately want to quit it as it's so so tiring and the money is awful for the amount of work I do. So I've been looking around for part time jobs and have managed to get an interview for one of the big Co-Operative stores near me. According to someone that works there, they have lots of jobs available. I would just like advice on wether I should wear a suit to the interview or not, and also what sort of questions I should be prepared to ask at the end of the interview, as well as the type of questions they will ask me. I really want to get this job as it's brilliant pay, £7.20 an hour, and it would be 12 hours a week which is perfect for me. Also, is there any solid advice to make sure that I almost definitely get the job? Thanks a lot.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    A suit never hurts. It's always better to be overdressed than not dressed appropriately. Think about why this job and company, what skills and experience you bring and if you can give examples for each. Look over the job spec and your application and think about whether you can provide evidence for everything you've said and they've asked for. Think of questions to ask about the job and company and what it's like working there but also bear in mind what they've already told you or what you can check online so you don't sound like you haven't been listening or done your homework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    A suit never hurts. It's always better to be overdressed than not dressed appropriately. Think about why this job and company, what skills and experience you bring and if you can give examples for each. Look over the job spec and your application and think about whether you can provide evidence for everything you've said and they've asked for. Think of questions to ask about the job and company and what it's like working there but also bear in mind what they've already told you or what you can check online so you don't sound like you haven't been listening or done your homework.
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    dress smartly

make sure you know things like when your buses run (i.e. what time you can start/finish work) in case they ask about availability, you could ask a few questions about your role e.g. will you be on tills, stockroom or a mixture, will there be overtime shifts available if you want them

for your answers think about:
    why you want to work there
    what skills/experience you have
    examples of relevant things (e.g. difficult/unhappy customer, a problem you don't know how to solve etc) and times you have dealt with them and if you don't have those think of how you would deal with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    dress smartly

make sure you know things like when your buses run (i.e. what time you can start/finish work) in case they ask about availability, you could ask a few questions about your role e.g. will you be on tills, stockroom or a mixture, will there be overtime shifts available if you want them

for your answers think about:
    why you want to work there
    what skills/experience you have
    examples of relevant things (e.g. difficult/unhappy customer, a problem you don't know how to solve etc) and times you have dealt with them and if you don't have those think of how you would deal with them
    I agree.
    These are the sorts of things id ask/expect to be asked.
    And a suit wouldnt hurt. They would rather you be slightly overdressed than not dressed properly.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree.
    These are the sorts of things id ask/expect to be asked.
    And a suit wouldnt hurt. They would rather you be slightly overdressed than not dressed properly.

ReputationRep:
    I got the job! Thanks for your advice guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuitarLoverJosh)
    I got the job! Thanks for your advice guys!

Congratulations. You should be well proud of yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.