Turn on thread page Beta

The Cost Of Freshers Week??? watch

Ok people, I've finally sorted my financial situation have found that I can account for every single penny that I will spend at university (well near enough anyway ). Having done this I realised that I have no idea how much Freshers week will actually cost in terms of cold hard cash. Any past students have any experience of the financial cost of Freshers?!? Will I have enough left out of the £450 I have set aside to purchase the fleece jacket I have been longing for?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lots

ReputationRep:
    £0.00

Don't go to it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Ok people, I've finally sorted my financial situation have found that I can account for every single penny that I will spend at university (well near enough anyway ). Having done this I realised that I have no idea how much Freshers week will actually cost in terms of cold hard cash. Any past students have any experience of the financial cost of Freshers?!? Will I have enough left out of the £450 I have set aside to purchase the fleece jacket I have been longing for?!? :confused:
    Student beer = cheap! Even drinking heavily you probably won't get through more than £150 (including budgeting for an ad hoc curry!)

If you drink your way through £450 in the SU in a week, you will probably die!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Student beer = cheap! Even drinking heavily you probably won't get through more than £150 (including budgeting for an ad hoc curry!)

If you drink your way through £450 in the SU in a week, you will probably die!
    i second that - tho people on another thread said they spend most of their money in the first week on books and joining societies, but u may have "accounted" this money differently?

ReputationRep:

Freshers (excluding a Ball) doesn't cost a lot - mainly due to cheap beer deals, particularly around the Union/Guild bars - if you go out to every Union night and drink remotely heavily, and include tickets, and spend £100 you've probably over spent.

The Freshers Ball if you have one, makes up the bulk part of most peoples other expenses, tux hire, ticket and all that - you should probably set £80 aside for that event alone if you end up going/can get hold of a ticket for love nor money.

ReputationRep:
    Unless youre a far heavier drinker than i was (and id be impressed if you are!) that will more than last you.

YAY....I figure at worst I will drink £150, add in the cost of actually starting at Edinburgh (a.k.a. con artists of the north) and I should not spend more than £230!!!

Quick sums on that means that £450 - £230 = FLEECE JACKET with about £40 spare!!!

Finally my finances are looking managable!!! Thanks all!!!

ReputationRep:
    This thread title seems rather ambiguous...

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    This thread title seems rather ambiguous...
    Looks fine to me!!!

ReputationRep:
    Looks fine to me!!!
    lol, that's better

ReputationRep:
    I think I spent about £150 during Freshers Week - I went to the 2 main club nights (£3 each for a ticket, then drinks and I managed not to spend too much) and the Freshers Ball (£20 for ticket, didn't bother buying new clothes and hardly anyone wore tuxes to ours - it was only in the LCR so not really a top quality venue :rolleyes: !) then again drinks. Another thing not mentioned is the Soc/Sports mart where you join all these clubs and societies that you'll end up never going to! Most societies at UEA were about £3 to join (sports clubs are more expensive and vary in price) - I joined 3, and then also the swimming club which was £10 but I got free access to the swimming pool twice a week during training times which is well worth the £10. But overall the drinks were so cheap, bearing in mind that down here i'm used to paying £3+ for drinks, so I ended up coming home and going "I must've spent more than that!".

ReputationRep:
    I think I spent 150 ish and I will be again!

Try not to sign up for stuff your not really going to do!

(Original post by Ollie)
    I think I spent 150 ish and I will be again!

Try not to sign up for stuff your not really going to do!
    *Crosses Scuba-Diving Club off list*

ReputationRep:
    You'd be hard pushed to spend over £250. Oxford is expensive, and I spent about £150. (+ Oxford Union membership )

This is sounding good people, now all I have to decide is what to buy with the £40 excess cash after the fleece. I'm thinking Doom 3 to relieve some stress but then again I could use a new hat.....ahhh tis so nice to actually feel financially secure enough to buy new headgear!!!

ReputationRep:
    *Crosses Scuba-Diving Club off list*
    lol, i really am going to do that!

oh and i've decided not to build my own computer anymore

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    This is sounding good people, now all I have to decide is what to buy with the £40 excess cash after the fleece. I'm thinking Doom 3 to relieve some stress but then again I could use a new hat.....ahhh tis so nice to actually feel financially secure enough to buy new headgear!!!
    just send it to 'louisa, maths + psychology departments, dundee' and i'll buy some shoes.

or you could just keep it and i'm sure you'll find cds/ more alcohol/ clothes/ computer stuff/ food to spend it on.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    (+ Oxford Union membership )
    You have to pay?!?!?

(Original post by lou p lou)
    just send it to 'louisa, maths + psychology departments, dundee' and i'll buy some shoes.

or you could just keep it and i'm sure you'll find cds/ more alcohol/ clothes/ computer stuff/ food to spend it on.

lou xxx
    Thinking your probably right about saving it. Although I rarely splurge on new computer stuff, the clothes and alcohol is MUCH more likely though!!!

I'm gutted your not building your own comp anymore, I'm sure it would have been a pleasure for your boyfriend to show you how. :rolleyes:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.