The Cost Of Freshers Week???

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ok people, I've finally sorted my financial situation have found that I can account for every single penny that I will spend at university (well near enough anyway ). Having done this I realised that I have no idea how much Freshers week will actually cost in terms of cold hard cash. Any past students have any experience of the financial cost of Freshers?!? Will I have enough left out of the £450 I have set aside to purchase the fleece jacket I have been longing for?!? :confused:
clare_m
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lots
Pencil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
£0.00

Don't go to it. :rolleyes:
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Ok people, I've finally sorted my financial situation have found that I can account for every single penny that I will spend at university (well near enough anyway ). Having done this I realised that I have no idea how much Freshers week will actually cost in terms of cold hard cash. Any past students have any experience of the financial cost of Freshers?!? Will I have enough left out of the £450 I have set aside to purchase the fleece jacket I have been longing for?!? :confused:
Student beer = cheap! Even drinking heavily you probably won't get through more than £150 (including budgeting for an ad hoc curry!)

If you drink your way through £450 in the SU in a week, you will probably die!
clare_m
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Student beer = cheap! Even drinking heavily you probably won't get through more than £150 (including budgeting for an ad hoc curry!)

If you drink your way through £450 in the SU in a week, you will probably die!
i second that - tho people on another thread said they spend most of their money in the first week on books and joining societies, but u may have "accounted" this money differently?
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Freshers (excluding a Ball) doesn't cost a lot - mainly due to cheap beer deals, particularly around the Union/Guild bars - if you go out to every Union night and drink remotely heavily, and include tickets, and spend £100 you've probably over spent.

The Freshers Ball if you have one, makes up the bulk part of most peoples other expenses, tux hire, ticket and all that - you should probably set £80 aside for that event alone if you end up going/can get hold of a ticket for love nor money.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Unless youre a far heavier drinker than i was (and id be impressed if you are!) that will more than last you.
Leekey
YAY....I figure at worst I will drink £150, add in the cost of actually starting at Edinburgh (a.k.a. con artists of the north) and I should not spend more than £230!!!

Quick sums on that means that £450 - £230 = FLEECE JACKET with about £40 spare!!!

Finally my finances are looking managable!!! Thanks all!!!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This thread title seems rather ambiguous...
Leekey
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
This thread title seems rather ambiguous...
Looks fine to me!!!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Looks fine to me!!!
lol, that's better
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think I spent about £150 during Freshers Week - I went to the 2 main club nights (£3 each for a ticket, then drinks and I managed not to spend too much) and the Freshers Ball (£20 for ticket, didn't bother buying new clothes and hardly anyone wore tuxes to ours - it was only in the LCR so not really a top quality venue :rolleyes: !) then again drinks. Another thing not mentioned is the Soc/Sports mart where you join all these clubs and societies that you'll end up never going to! Most societies at UEA were about £3 to join (sports clubs are more expensive and vary in price) - I joined 3, and then also the swimming club which was £10 but I got free access to the swimming pool twice a week during training times which is well worth the £10. But overall the drinks were so cheap, bearing in mind that down here i'm used to paying £3+ for drinks, so I ended up coming home and going "I must've spent more than that!".
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think I spent 150 ish and I will be again!

Try not to sign up for stuff your not really going to do!
Leekey
(Original post by Ollie)
I think I spent 150 ish and I will be again!

Try not to sign up for stuff your not really going to do!
*Crosses Scuba-Diving Club off list*
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You'd be hard pushed to spend over £250. Oxford is expensive, and I spent about £150. (+ Oxford Union membership )
Leekey
This is sounding good people, now all I have to decide is what to buy with the £40 excess cash after the fleece. I'm thinking Doom 3 to relieve some stress but then again I could use a new hat.....ahhh tis so nice to actually feel financially secure enough to buy new headgear!!!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*Crosses Scuba-Diving Club off list*
lol, i really am going to do that!

oh and i've decided not to build my own computer anymore

lou xxx
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is sounding good people, now all I have to decide is what to buy with the £40 excess cash after the fleece. I'm thinking Doom 3 to relieve some stress but then again I could use a new hat.....ahhh tis so nice to actually feel financially secure enough to buy new headgear!!!
just send it to 'louisa, maths + psychology departments, dundee' and i'll buy some shoes.

or you could just keep it and i'm sure you'll find cds/ more alcohol/ clothes/ computer stuff/ food to spend it on.

lou xxx
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BazTheMoney)
(+ Oxford Union membership )
You have to pay?!?!?
Leekey
(Original post by lou p lou)
just send it to 'louisa, maths + psychology departments, dundee' and i'll buy some shoes.

or you could just keep it and i'm sure you'll find cds/ more alcohol/ clothes/ computer stuff/ food to spend it on.

lou xxx
Thinking your probably right about saving it. Although I rarely splurge on new computer stuff, the clothes and alcohol is MUCH more likely though!!!

I'm gutted your not building your own comp anymore, I'm sure it would have been a pleasure for your boyfriend to show you how. :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
22.42%
No (173)
77.58%

Watched Threads