Turn on thread page Beta

Would I be accepted? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is a hypothecal question, but presuming I was offered a conditional place on a course with BBB, would I still get accepted if I did badly in one subject but did better than expected in the other two, getting AAD?

I'm not in this situation, but I am worried that come next august, I might not do too well in my weakest subject, and do better than expected in my others.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tortent)
    This is a hypothecal question, but presuming I was offered a conditional place on a course with BBB, would I still get accepted if I did badly in one subject but did better than expected in the other two, getting AAD?
    I am not an expert on matters of admission, but here is my opinion.

The combination of grades need to be relevant to the course that you want to study. Just getting AAD (English, Dance and Maths respectively) will not mean much, if you scored the D in Maths and want to study Maths at University; when the required grades was a B or an A.

Some people like to throw letters around like "Oh, I want to study Physics at University, but I got A*AE." When one looks closer, one soon founds out that the E was in Physics.

If you want to study Chemistry at University and you perform badly in the key subject i.e. Chemistry A' Levels, then it will be difficult to get in, unless you are lucky and the University is rather lenient.

If you are going to need a combination of grades for your offer, then you are encouraged to meet the grades for the each subject.

My advice is to work hard to achieve more than your offer grades rather than trying to get close to the required grade for your course.

Good luck.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster

I'm not in this situation, but I am worried that come next august, I might not do too well in my weakest subject, and do better than expected in my others.
    It will depend on the University. There is no definitive answer. And on the day their discretion may cause them to release or accept you. On the other hand, they may offer you an alternative course.

They are less likely to accept you if the lower grade is in the subject most relevant to the degree (like physics A-level for a Physics degree).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi,

This depends on the course and the University. Some universities will only count your UCAS points so as long as you meet the 300 UCAS points needed you will be accepted.

However, some courses will need you to achieve a certain grade for a key subject. For example if you wanted to do Pharmacy and the D was in chemistry this will be a problem!

The best thing to do is contact the university and ask them if you need a specific grade in a key subject and they can advise you further.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.