Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Answer ASAP) Achieved UCAS points needed but didn't get accepted? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm posting this discussion to help a close friend of mine. My friend had been offered a place at university of Hertfordshire to study radiotherapy and oncology and they asked for 300 UCAS points. My friend's results came and the grades totalled 310 UCAS points, however the university has rejected his place despite the fact he's achieved the conditions they asked for? Can someone tell me why this may be?
    (I also want to add that my friend can't be entered into clearing because they didn't choose 5 university options)
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    (Original post by shaira213)
    Hello! I'm posting this discussion to help a close friend of mine. My friend had been offered a place at university of Hertfordshire to study radiotherapy and oncology and they asked for 300 UCAS points. My friend's results came and the grades totalled 310 UCAS points, however the university has rejected his place despite the fact he's achieved the conditions they asked for? Can someone tell me why this may be?
    (I also want to add that my friend can't be entered into clearing because they didn't choose 5 university options)
    Were there any other conditions attached to the offer? Maybe 300 UCAS points, but 120 of those need to be from one A-level?

ReputationRep:
    They can certainly go into Clearing, and if they've been rejected by their only choice there should be a Clearing number on his Track.

It sounds to me like there may have been a condition in the points offer that meant that some of your friend's points could not be included. Perhaps he has double-counted an AS and a full A level in the same subject? Or perhaps he had to get a specific number of points for one of his subjects, and didn't, even though he got the required number of points overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Were there any other conditions attached to the offer? Maybe 300 UCAS points, but 120 of those need to be from one A-level?
    I asked them the same question and they showed me the conditions and it clearly just stated that they needed 300 UCAS points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    They can certainly go into Clearing, and if they've been rejected by their only choice there should be a Clearing number on his Track.

It sounds to me like there may have been a condition in the points offer that meant that some of your friend's points could not be included. Perhaps he has double-counted an AS and a full A level in the same subject? Or perhaps he had to get a specific number of points for one of his subjects, and didn't, even though he got the required number of points overall?
    I persuaded him to call UCAS and ask them to calculate his points for him to double-check and they confirmed that it did total 310 points. He also called the university to ask if there had been a mistake but they are saying that they cannot give any information as to why he didn't get accepted, despite it being his own application. So he doesn't know what went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I persuaded him to call UCAS and ask them to calculate his points for him to double-check and they confirmed that it did total 310 points. He also called the university to ask if there had been a mistake but they are saying that they cannot give any information as to why he didn't get accepted, despite it being his own application. So he doesn't know what went wrong.
    What did his offer actually say? He should still have a letter attached to his Track confirming the specific requirements.

(Original post by PQ)
    Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    It could be 300 in his top 3 A levels, cause you can't get 310 UCAS points with 3 A2s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    What did his offer actually say? He should still have a letter attached to his Track confirming the specific requirements.

Any thoughts?
    It clearly just states that he needed 300 UCAS points. There was nothing else beside it like 'at least 120 from two A-levels' or anything like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    It could be 300 in his top 3 A levels, cause you can't get 310 UCAS points with 3 A2s
    He only took an AS level and two BTECs

ReputationRep:
    It clearly just states that he needed 300 UCAS points. There was nothing else beside it like 'at least 120 from two A-levels' or anything like that
    He only took an AS level and two BTECs
    Well, that does seem odd. I think he should ask UCAS to talk to the uni about it, as on the face of it he should have his place if there were no specifics in the offer to exclude any of his qualifications from his points count.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.