Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    a female fashion brand just scheduled an interview with me next week. Its a marketing position, probs my first job after graduation if i got lucky.
    I feel like the interviewer would ask me like "Why would a male marketer work for a female brand?"

how should i address these question?

ReputationRep:
    Say your gender has no bearing or importance here and you can still appreciate different styles, fashion and the skills you have learnt from university you can still put to good use here

ReputationRep:
    A simply response like the one above is fine. Be mature and simple, yet show knowledge on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    right,im sure i do have a leverage since the company has given me a chance to present myself, but what if the question is like " Why should we choose you over a female graduate ?" or perhaps "How could a male marketer benefits a female brand?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cage94586)
    right,im sure i do have a leverage since the company has given me a chance to present myself, but what if the question is like " Why should we choose you over a female graduate ?" or perhaps "How could a male marketer benefits a female brand?"
    If it's phrased like that then maybe you could suggest that being male, and therefore not being someone with a personal interest in the brand, would allow you to take a step back and look at what would appeal to women as a whole rather than focusing on your personal opinions or targeting only those who are similar to you.

ReputationRep:
    They are less likely to ask you questions like this in fear of you or others then claiming gender discrimination.

They could ask you why you are the best candidate for the role, but I doubt they would put a gender slant on it. Even if they did, there's plenty of examples of people of one gender successfully working in a field where you'd expect a preference for the other gender.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.