Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am new here so this might have been done before, sorry if it has.

As a student, is it hard to get part time jobs that co-incide with the hours you do at university. I am working in a supermarket just now and know I am going to have to leave it when I get to uni as there is no way Im going to make it over in time. I dont really fancy doing bar work either. Is there any other options.

ReputationRep:
    I work as a part time web developer, although the job is weekdays usualy once a week I am learning stuff directly related to my degree. You might be able to get a part time job that relates to your degree that way it won't effect you're work so much.

ReputationRep:
    Being a waiter in one of the big city restaurants is THE BEST part-time job you can have at Uni. I worked for TGI Fridays whilst I was at Uni. They are flexible with your rota, so you can get days off when you need them, and the money is the best you can earn... because of the tips. In my final year I was only working 2 shifts a week, and was still taking home £150 a week!

ReputationRep:
    you can help out with open days at your university, apparently is pays well, or how about being part of the student newspaper? if you're doing a literary course, you'll be learning and it will be valuable experience, esp. if you're interested in the media or journalism.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the ideas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    you can help out with open days at your university, apparently is pays well, or how about being part of the student newspaper? if you're doing a literary course, you'll be learning and it will be valuable experience, esp. if you're interested in the media or journalism.
    Student newspapers don't pay! I think this person is looking for jobs that pay £££s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js_atco)
    Student newspapers don't pay! I think this person is looking for jobs that pay £££s
    really? i did not know that, thanks for correcting me.

ReputationRep:
    How about working in the student bar?

ReputationRep:
    Best job you can do while at uni is play online poker. I made £500 this month playing at the $0.50 No limit tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    Best job you can do while at uni is play online poker. I made £500 this month playing at the $0.50 No limit tables.
    Talking of money making, there's a general knowledge game in Blackburn cinema where you enter £1 and if you answer the question right, you get £15. However, if you're reasonably bright (which is quite rare in Blackburn) a few of you with a broad knowledge you can easily answer the questions right and in an hour make over £200.

ReputationRep:
    You could get an office job.. probably one of the most boring things you will do in your life.. but it pays better than supermarket/bar work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    How about working in the student bar?
    I knew someone who worked in a student bar, but she hated it and quit after a week. Apparently it seemed like a good idea at the time, but isn't as fun when you're sober as students just drink too much and puke everywhere. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I knew someone who worked in a student bar, but she hated it and quit after a week. Apparently it seemed like a good idea at the time, but isn't as fun when you're sober as students just drink too much and puke everywhere. :rolleyes:
    My Big cousin was the same, he quit after a while as well. Said he'd rather be the one drunk, than the one cleaning up people's puke! yeuch!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.