The Student Room Group

Early graduation

I'm uncertain whether this is the correct section for this post, so feel free to move it.

A premature question, but I'd like to know whether it's possible to complete exams/dissertation at an earlier date than expected; that is from the summer break till December, for the following year?
My reasons being, it's likely I'll be undergoing a medical operation the following months after December, and i'd rather not delay my exams or have to take the year out.*
I doubt it.

Depends on your course, but you are basically saying that you would attempt to graduate after 2 years?
Although most courses don't fill the third year with tuition, some stuff is done, then it moves onto exams/dissertation

You would need to ask your tutor
Reply 2
Original post by truewonder
I'm uncertain whether this is the correct section for this post, so feel free to move it.

A premature question, but I'd like to know whether it's possible to complete exams/dissertation at an earlier date than expected; that is from the summer break till December, for the following year?
My reasons being, it's likely I'll be undergoing a medical operation the following months after December, and i'd rather not delay my exams or have to take the year out.*

No. You cannot take exams based on taught modules you have not yet studied. It would not be possible to complete two years of taught modules in a single year, as knowledge and skills from one year, will be built on the following year.

Your most likely situation will be to take an authorised break in your studies to allow for the operation and recovery. You should apply for an extension due to Extenuating Circumstances based on your anticipated medical *procedure, which should give you the ability to take the relevant taught modules, assessments and dissertation the following year, uncapped.

Talk to your uni's Student Support staff as soon as possible, to see if they can suggest alternative approaches. Check the regulations for your uni or get some advice from the Student Union on how they will affect you. Let your course leader know as soon as possible, so that your extension request doesn't come as a last minute shock, and they are prepared to deal with it.
Reply 3
No, plus you'd not do any better by missing out your teaching and guidance.

The process would be to apply for extenuating circumstances for those exams/CW affected, and possibly delay deadlines if necessary. I also had a surgery in 2nd year and that's what I had to do. Talk to your personal tutor when you arrive.
If you'd known before summer started then I would have guessed they'd allow you to do your dissertation earlier but I think now would be too late and you definitely wouldn't be able to do exams earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending