The Student Room Group

Resting Year 12?

I recently got my year 12 as results and i am not too happy with the outcome, i got CCCEU (C in Geography, C in citizenship- my school makes this compulsory , C in politics, E in German and a U in biology. I am very unsure what to do i love my sixth form and have spent the past 6 years at the school/sixth form in total, they have a minimum of 3 Ds entry requirements and they said that they will no doubt be happy to have me back, however this means i have to drop 2 of my chosen a levels (Biology and German), and take up another random AS subject. I'm not too bothered about biology as i knew from the beginning that it wasn't for me and i knew i would fail, however i am really disappointed with my german result and dropping it would break my heart, i don't want to study german at university however i would like to live in germany when i am older or do a year of study there when i do my degree however i feel like i can no longer do that anymore. Last year was not the best year for me due to family reasons and i feel like it set me back a lot this year compared to when i did my GCSE'S i know A levels are harder but i knew because of the circumstances i didn't put in as much effort as i could have.
My main concern is weather a Uni will want me i would really like to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow to study Geography, however the entry requirements are AAB, and i don't think they would offer me a place with that so now I've got myself panicked as i don't know if I've made the right choices this year and if i picked geography as a degree as it was the only one i felt strongest at, i am also unsure if to go to another sixth form near by to resit year 12 and study Geography, law, politics and business or german (subjects that are more me) and get my head down as i will probably not have many friends there I'm just really stuck on what to do, i am willing to sacrifice my friends and going out, and staying behind a year if it means i don't end up making an even bigger mistake in the future, any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Reply 1
Heya! I dropped a year in 6th form last year :smile: ive just finished my second year in year12. Its not the easiest of options. Its worth it if you really are dissapointed with your grades and are completely unable to do your course with them. I did it because i originally wanted to do Law and couldn't get in to a single course with the grades i got (i now want to do computer science) With the grades that you got it is unlikely a course that requires AAB will take you on, especially if there is lots of competition for the places. Its hard watching your friends go to uni while you're still here (i've just had this with results day) but, when you drop a year you make a load of new friends so its not all bad that way. You have to really decide if you want to fight for higher grades again or if you think you are able to fight for them in year 13 and/or with resits for modulus (if required) Also, you don't need an A-level in a language to do a year abroad during a uni course. I dropped a year in the same 6th form rather than move as well. Think about what you really want to do to decide on the a levels you want to take if you re sit too, pick ones you'll be good at and get good grades in, its not all about interest :smile: Good Luck with your decision and let me know if you have other questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest