Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cardiff Uni v Nottingham Trent (Law and Law Enforcement. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello. :-)

So, I'm an access student who has a bit of a problem.

Originally speaking, I wanted to be a police officer, but not just a bobby. I wanted to get a relevant qualification that would allow me to grow in the police force and possibly enter the NCA. I also want to get a Masters Degree so whilst I'm working in Police volunteering, I can get a fantastic education that will help me with my career.

I figured Law would be the best, as it's probably better to know the Law than study criminology because I've heard horror stories from Humanities graduates who struggle to find work after their degree. I figured that if push came to shove after graduating with Law, that I could at least make a decent living working at a Law firm or possibly the CPS.

Here's the problem:

1) I applied to Cardiff University to study Law (LLB) with Criminology, however, my grades didn't cover it and they gave me an unconditional offer to study Criminology and Sociology with no mention of a BS or qualification (can't even find the qualification name on the website. However, if I were successful in my studies, then there is the chance to do a GDL at the cost of an extra year which would further qualify me with an LLB along with a Criminology degree from a reputable Russell Group University.

2) Nottingham Trent was my insurance choice. They have offered me the full LLB course which is what I originally wanted. Their University looks fantastic and would seem like much less messing around than the path with Cardiff. Much more guaranteed than Cardiff too. However, it's not a Russell Group and there seems to be a problem with non-Russell Group students obtaining work after graduation.

What would you guys do?

Advice?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry about not getting a job after university, its more of who you know than what you know! You have to be well connected. Law is tough to get a job in afterwards due to competition, but im sure many other jobs are too! Id go with nottingham trent, it seems less hassle than cardiff

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you eventually choose to do with your law degree. Unfortunately law is a sector that still scrutinises students based on their choice of university, with top law firms almost exclusively handing out contracts to those from Russel Group universities. Law is a highly competitive field of work and so in my view it is a no brainier that one should choose a Russel Group i.e. Cardiff over a former polytechnic i.e. Nottingham Trent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.