Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps her course is less popular so they demand lower grades? Not sure what else could've been the reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she had a good personal statement as well? And as another user said, there's less demand for the course? My backup course at Bristol asks for ABB-BBB and they want A*AA for English.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly it depends on the admissions tutor's mood. You have to realise an actualy human being with emotions sorts out your printed ucas applications and ranks them in order of how good they are. If hes in a good mood and a person has say AAA predictions instead of A*AA he might just give you a chance..Cause he can. I have heard of people getting into medicine with ABB.

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure what is going on here, but as a general statement; it is unwise to say a course at a top uni is a top course based on the uni alone. Subject tables are far more important than overall tables - just because Oxford is the 2nd best university in the UK, doesn't mean it has the 2nd best English course (in fact it has the 5th best). It is certainly possible to get into a top university by taking a course that that university doesn't do particularly well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User1014865)
    Universities are scared about a reduction of EU students in the years after Brexit. This is going to be a huge hit to their treasuries. All of the universities were pro-remain mostly for this reason.

Expect uni places to be easier to get this year and in the next few years. People think their offers are set in stone. They really arn't.

Also universites don't like lowering their offers as it make them look like they're lowering their standards. They just give high offers but often accept you if you miss a grade or two.

Universities first priority is their financial future. If that means admitting less able students, that is what will/is happening.

SS

(Original post by Captivated)
    Perhaps her course is less popular so they demand lower grades? Not sure what else could've been the reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She says it's God.

But I say it's a combination of good GCSEs, a good PS (she has her own fashion line) and low demand for the course.

So glad she got in though. I never want her to go through the ordeal of Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    She says it's God.

But I say it's a combination of good GCSEs, a good PS (she has her own fashion line) and low demand for the course.

So glad she got in though. I never want her to go through the ordeal of Clearing.
    It's sweet of you to care about her like that! Congrats to you both

(Original post by Captivated)
    It's sweet of you to care about her like that! Congrats to you both
    She's stressing over accommodation and generally getting ahead of herself (talking about a provisional license and working/driving at university). I've used my experience to advise her and calm her own but she's just disregarding everything I say - as though what I'm saying doesn't apply to her because she's going to a better uni than me. I even tried to support/advise her when she was rejected from her first choice and she just ignored me.

It's rude and arrogant. University means nothing if you can't be a nice person. Still, despite how she treats me, I want her to enjoy herself.

ReputationRep:
    She's stressing over accommodation and generally getting ahead of herself (talking about a provisional license and working/driving at university). I've used my experience to advise her and calm her own but she's just disregarding everything I say - as though what I'm saying doesn't apply to her because she's going to a better uni than me. I even tried to support/advise her when she was rejected from her first choice and she just ignored me.

It's rude and arrogant. University means nothing if you can't be a nice person. Still, despite how she treats me, I want her to enjoy herself.
    I think it's because she hasn't experienced it herself, she believes she's right (for now). When she gets to university, she'll remember you and exactly the things you said. I know it's frustrating to get through to someone who thinks they're 'above' you even though you'll have similar experiences, but just remember that she's probably just stressed and wants to believe she has control.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.