Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I got BDE for my A-level results, B being for maths, D for biology, and E for chemistry and this is my third year doing A-levels. I retook the AS year twice, and only slightly improved my grades. However, I just don't know what happened this year, clearly I didn't prepare more than enough. I firmed Aston for Chemical Engineering, but obviously with the way results day went, they rejected me. I did not select any university for my insurance. I'd appreciate any sort of guidance as what I can do. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Resit and push the grades to 3B's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dardxn)
    Hey,

I got BDE for my A-level results, B being for maths, D for biology, and E for chemistry and this is my third year doing A-levels. I retook the AS year twice, and only slightly improved my grades. However, I just don't know what happened this year, clearly I didn't prepare more than enough. I firmed Aston for Chemical Engineering, but obviously with the way results day went, they rejected me. I did not select any university for my insurance. I'd appreciate any sort of guidance as what I can do. Thank you.
    You have 3 options:
    - clearing
    - choose a different course
    - resit

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment, its such a shame how minor mistakes can have such a big impact. If you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSE grades like? They often give a good indication of your potential if you feel that you were held back for A Levels. If it's clear that your GCSE's are strong but there was a sudden drop then universities will definitely take that into consideration. It would definitely be worth talking to a careers adviser but make sure you know what you want and remember your potential because at my school they're notorious for discouraging students! It would also be worth calling Aston and discussing if they would realistically consider an application from you in the future.

At GCSE I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs, but AS year was tough for me mentally and I got a disappointing BCCD for History, English lit, Politics, Philosophy. Year 13 comes and I had health issues and ended up missing the first half of the year completely and almost being kicked out! No one expected me to pass or apply to uni but I managed a late application (10 minutes before the June 30th deadline!), got 5 offers, and ended up with AAC. The C was for history which was unexpected but it doesn't matter because I still got accepted to study History and Philosophy somehow!

Basically, the route to what you want to do is not always straight forward, but you just have to stay motivated and stay on track. If you genuinely feel like you can no longer rely on grades to get you where you want to be in the future then consider building up a really strong CV - whether thats work, volunteering or lots of experience in what you want to do. Try to stay at school and complete your A Levels while you do this. It's genuinely not the end of the world but from now on remember that you will not get back more than the work you put in. Good luck and God bless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmm19)
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment, its such a shame how minor mistakes can have such a big impact. If you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSE grades like? They often give a good indication of your potential if you feel that you were held back for A Levels. If it's clear that your GCSE's are strong but there was a sudden drop then universities will definitely take that into consideration. It would definitely be worth talking to a careers adviser but make sure you know what you want and remember your potential because at my school they're notorious for discouraging students! It would also be worth calling Aston and discussing if they would realistically consider an application from you in the future.

At GCSE I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs, but AS year was tough for me mentally and I got a disappointing BCCD for History, English lit, Politics, Philosophy. Year 13 comes and I had health issues and ended up missing the first half of the year completely and almost being kicked out! No one expected me to pass or apply to uni but I managed a late application (10 minutes before the June 30th deadline!), got 5 offers, and ended up with AAC. The C was for history which was unexpected but it doesn't matter because I still got accepted to study History and Philosophy somehow!

Basically, the route to what you want to do is not always straight forward, but you just have to stay motivated and stay on track. If you genuinely feel like you can no longer rely on grades to get you where you want to be in the future then consider building up a really strong CV - whether thats work, volunteering or lots of experience in what you want to do. Try to stay at school and complete your A Levels while you do this. It's genuinely not the end of the world but from now on remember that you will not get back more than the work you put in. Good luck and God bless!
    For my GCSEs I got 4 As, 4 Bs, and one C. I guess the pressure just got the worse of me, considering I done 11 exams. I am thinking to apply for Computer Science, with a foundation year, at Middlesex University. Or maybe apply to London South Bank for Chemical and Processing Engineering or Petroleum Engineering. I'm stuck between taking a gap year or trying to secure that place at university already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dardxn)
    For my GCSEs I got 4 As, 4 Bs, and one C. I guess the pressure just got the worse of me, considering I done 11 exams. I am thinking to apply for Computer Science, with a foundation year, at Middlesex University. Or maybe apply to London South Bank for Chemical and Processing Engineering or Petroleum Engineering. I'm stuck between taking a gap year or trying to secure that place at university already.
    Your GCSE's a great, certainly way above average. A gap year might give you time to think things through but considering you're already a year behind it might be best to continue studying. Do what you think you're capable of but try and push yourself. A foundation year is a great option, but you could also call unis that you think are in your league and check if there is still a chance, theres much more out there than Aston!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.