Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever consider adopting a child rather than have one of your own? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I'm old enough and have a stable income and home, I would personally feel it to be a lot more fulfilling bringing up a baby adopted from birth, rather than have my own. I assume Im more or less alone in my opinion, as many want their own child in order to pass on their genes, and for various other reasons.

But for me it isn't fundamental in this day and age, in the UK at least? The world is overpopulated as it is, and there are so many children out there who have lost their parents due to war and disease. Parents are so important, I couldn't imagine not having mine even at age 19. And when I see those poor kids it breaks my heart.

What are your opinions on this? Would you yourself ever consider adopting a child? Would love to hear your thoughts
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWIMSHALLOW)
    When I'm old enough and have a stable income and home, I would personally feel it to be a lot more fulfilling bringing up a baby adopted from birth, rather than have my own. I assume Im more or less alone in my opinion, as many want their own child in order to pass on their genes, and for various other reasons.

But for me it isn't fundamental in this day and age, in the UK at least? The world is overpopulated as it is, and there are so many children out there who have lost their parents due to war and disease. Parents are so important, I couldn't imagine not having mine even at age 19. And when I see those poor kids it breaks my heart.

What are your opinions on this? Would you yourself ever consider adopting a child? Would love to hear your thoughts
    At the moment, we would like to have two biological children and then look at adopting a third child. If for any reason we couldn't have kids biologically then I would adopt more.

ReputationRep:
    Even if I did want kids (which I don't) I'd rather have my own for the sake of continuing my bloodline... or so say my feels.

If I gave it some thought for more than a second, I'd realise that, much like taking in a stray cat from the RSPCA, it would be more beneficial both to the child and my girlfriends' vaginal structure that we adopt (though the latter part isn't a benefit of adopting a stray cat).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't want children personally but I've always said that if I ever did want kids, I would only adopt. I wouldn't want biological children. I have illnesses that could be passed on from both me and my partner's side, the thought of childbirth makes me want to vomit and really freaks me out and I do feel that there are plenty of kids already out there who need a home, I don't need to bring another into the world. I support couples having their own biological kids or adopting, its their own choice and their own business but I'd personally only go down the adoption road if I wanted kids.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.