Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do most women/females with high functioning autism? Watch

Have a hard time getting into relationships?

I do and have mostly been single all my life and I'm in my late twenties. I know I'm kind,intelligent, funny, attractive and outgoing at times. I have trouble getting into careers and have troubles understanding at times. My family worry what will happen in the future on my own. I have never really worked to look for it. I wanted it the come naturally and when the times right.

These have caused a lot of anxiety and its difficult moving on. I know autism doesn't define you but are most women like me accept it in the end?

ReputationRep:
    "Female autism" isn't exactly the same as autism seen in males, if anything, they are better at coping in life than males on the spectrum

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    "Female autism" isn't exactly the same as autism seen in males, if anything, they are better at coping in life than males on the spectrum
    Not entirely true, women can have it harder has its less common and most likely to get undiagnosed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not entirely true, women can have it harder has its less common and most likely to get undiagnosed.
    ok so were you diagnosed? Or do you just identify with the symptoms?
    I know it's hard but regardless of who you are, you need to connect with as many people as possible; it's how humans survive. The internet has unfortunately been brandished as an excuse for many humans to not go out and talk with one another...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    if you want to see female autism, just have an argument with your girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind,intelligent, funny, attractive and outgoing at times
    If this is true, and you are truly high functioning, then you should have no problem, so long as you are socially immersing yourself to a reasonable extent, or at least using online/app based dating

ReputationRep:
    Have a hard time getting into relationships?

I do and have mostly been single all my life and I'm in my late twenties. I know I'm kind,intelligent, funny, attractive and outgoing at times. I have trouble getting into careers and have troubles understanding at times. My family worry what will happen in the future on my own. I have never really worked to look for it. I wanted it the come naturally and when the times right.

These have caused a lot of anxiety and its difficult moving on. I know autism doesn't define you but are most women like me accept it in the end?
    Can having aspergers syndrome count for this aswell or does it have to be high functioning autism specifically?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    We tend to hide it better, which I think is Shawns point.

Don't have an interest in relationships at all. Both people who have asked me out, have just been desperate..

ReputationRep:
    I have a hard time making friends anyway because my Aspergers has given me an obsession with science as well as a severe lack of social skills. NTs just think I'm weird and struggle to talk to me because of it. I have found that fellow aspies don't have that problem though. The only boyfriend I've ever had was autistic too. It fizzled out though because while he was lovely, he was also pretty thick.

ReputationRep:
    Asperger syndrome is often regarded as high functioning autism.
    I'm autistic and I struggle a lot with friendships, let alone relationships. Being a closet lesbian as well doesn't help matters at all, and I do honestly think I would live my whole life single if nothing changes.

I do have a crush but I find it extremely hard to talk to her, even though she's a nice girl. I'm dying to get to know her a bit more but she's in another year group and I keep worrying I creep her out.
    I have heard that girls can be affected differently from boys - while (or rather, since) it's harder to detect, it causes a lot of social and emotional difficulties. I feel I have quite a 'masculine autism'. I'm not good at disguising it or blending in, and have rather unusual quirks more often associated with males on the spectrum. When people talk to me I think they immediately know I have some sort of condition.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.