Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I made an error in my mums marital status. She's single, but her and my dad were in a relationship for almost 30 years, but never got married. In my eyes they were separated, but because they were never married my mum should be classed as single. I put her down as separated, when she should be single.

    I have had 6 weeks of trouble from SFE. They keep asking for a Decree Nisi, a letter from a solicitor, or a mortgage statement. With clear reasoning I have explained why this is not possible.

    All I'm looking for the ERROR to be amended and my mums marital status to be change to single. This is severely affecting my claim. I have sent of multiple letters and evidence. I was assured by someone at customer services who spoke to his superiors that all I had to send off to get this changed from separated to single was to send in 2 current tax year bills as all the other ones were from outside this tax year. I have done this. But, it appears that the goalposts have been changed and they are now asking for a mortgage statement in my mums names which I have already explained I can't give as my mum and dad got a mortgage together and when they separated the house was never sold and my mum couldn't buy him off the mortgage. Because of this the council do not give my mum a 25% discount due to his name being on the mortgage.

    The persistent asking from SFE for things I have already told them I simply can't give, is starting to drive me up the wall.

    I wouldn't have made this error if it was made clearer in the online form. All this trouble and all I want it doing is changing back to what is correct, my mum being single.

    Can I have some help as Uni is 6 weeks away and by the looks of it I'm going to end up going with no money at all. Simply, because of an error that SFE refuses to change.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team

    Sorry to hear about the trouble you have had with your application.

    I would advise that your Mum sends in as much evidence as possible to help prove she lives on her own own. This should be accompanied by a covering letter explaining why she is unable to provide the standard evidence. Assessors will be unable to process evidence without an explanation on why the standard evidence can not be provided.

    Evidence will be looked at on a case-by-case basis and can include:Rental agreements in their sole name
    Utility bills eg water, gas , electricity in their sole nameWe do not accept bank statements as proof of marital evidence. She can choose to send other documents in her sole name to prove marital status. If an assessor cannot accept the evidence sent they will request further evidence.

    Hope this helps



students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.