Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently classified as an overseas student for fee status. This means I can't apply for SFE. I need to show proof of sufficient funds to the uni I want to go to which means that I need to get a private loan.

Does anyone know of any reliable private loan companies? I'm side eyeing Future Finance but I'm still unsure about the company.

Also, am I allowed to get an HSBC student account still? I have been resident for the past 9 years if it helps.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Future F are legit but expensive. You will be expected to start making repayments during your degree (they lend you money, add interest and start demanding it back again soon afterwards). You are also expected to continue making repayments even if you are unemployed or can't afford to.

As an International student there aren't really any other optons. You could check with your uni about scholarships and bursaries. However, these won't cover your full costs even if you're eligible. If your uni also classes you as International, your tuiton fees will go up with a bump, which won't help.

Do you understand how you are classed as "International", even though you have been resident in the UK for nine years? Normally the residency requirement for the full SF package is five years for EU students and three years for those originating outside the EU.

You need to ask HSBC about their student account. Presumably there's some wrinkle with your residency and as we don't know it, we can't predict how HSBC will view your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Future F are legit but expensive. You will be expected to start making repayments during your degree (they lend you money, add interest and start demanding it back again soon afterwards). You are also expected to continue making repayments even if you are unemployed or can't afford to.

As an International student there aren't really any other optons. You could check with your uni about scholarships and bursaries. However, these won't cover your full costs even if you're eligible. If your uni also classes you as International, your tuiton fees will go up with a bump, which won't help.

Do you understand how you are classed as "International", even though you have been resident in the UK for nine years? Normally the residency requirement for the full SF package is five years for EU students and three years for those originating outside the EU.

You need to ask HSBC about their student account. Presumably there's some wrinkle with your residency and as we don't know it, we can't predict how HSBC will view your application.
    I came to the UK through the 'private life' category which means I have to live here for 10 years to obtain indefinite leave. Thank you for the advice, I'm going to speak to my local branch about this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.