Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you need social media to have a good time at Uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know that a lot of people use things like FB/IG/Twitter and I honestly don't care about them that much.

However, I'm kind of concerned that a lot of groups and things are on Facebook and lots of updates are on Twitter and I feel like without them I'll miss out on a lot. How important would you say it would be to have those kinds of things?

I'll probably end up making them, but the idea of starting from scratch sounds annoying
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    I know that a lot of people use things like FB/IG/Twitter and I honestly don't care about them that much.

However, I'm kind of concerned that a lot of groups and things are on Facebook and lots of updates are on Twitter and I feel like without them I'll miss out on a lot. How important would you say it would be to have those kinds of things?

I'll probably end up making them, but the idea of starting from scratch sounds annoying
    Hello

I wouldn't say having social media accounts is essential but, they are extremely helpful and yes, near to everything in regards to groups and updates will be on social media. Your university will inform you of updates through email but class groups and discussions and updates will take place through social media.
    I've a member of around 10 groups of Facebook for different lectures and discussions at university and my class has a group chat and it's used on the daily.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not one that particularly enjoys talking to others then I'd suggest not having a social media account - you'll isolate yourself even more.
    For some people, joining a single website as a "user" is enough excuse to stop them going out any time of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    If you are not one that particularly enjoys talking to others then I'd suggest not having a social media account - you'll isolate yourself even more.
    For some people, joining a single website as a "user" is enough excuse to stop them going out any time of the day.
    It's not that I don't like talking to others, I just prefer doing it in person. I will talk to most people when they are around, but if I'm being honest I don't really care about most people enough to want to scroll through a feed on my own time and know what they're up to when I'm not with them to talk about it in person, if that makes sense.
    So I don't not have them to isolate myself, it's just because I literally don't care enough lmao. There are way better things I can be doing with my time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ReputationRep:
    I think Facebook is definitely pretty much essential for uni. You don't have to bother yourself scrolling through your news feed if you don't want, but so much group work and society info are communicated solely through Facebook that you will miss out if you don't atleast have a page you can use to connect to these things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    It's not that I don't like talking to others, I just prefer doing it in person. I will talk to most people when they are around, but if I'm being honest I don't really care about most people enough to want to scroll through a feed on my own time and know what they're up to when I'm not with them to talk about it in person, if that makes sense.
    So I don't not have them to isolate myself, it's just because I literally don't care enough lmao. There are way better things I can be doing with my time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Good Yeah I meant "talking to others" as in communicating with them in person, glad that's something you do regularly. It seems as though more and more just hide away from people thanks to the convenient excuse of the internet

ReputationRep:
    I think you should use Facebook because the group chat can get lit lol. But seriously, it helps with coordinating plans with housemates/societies, so I think you should get it. You don't have to use it for anything else, but from what I've seen at uni a lot of the people at uni have never used whatsapp, which is totally alien to me because I have many groups which I am part of on it with family, football etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    I think you should use Facebook because the group chat can get lit lol. But seriously, it helps with coordinating plans with housemates/societies, so I think you should get it. You don't have to use it for anything else, but from what I've seen at uni a lot of the people at uni have never used whatsapp, which is totally alien to me because I have many groups which I am part of on it with family, football etc
    Yeah, I use whatsapp for my group chats too, I've never really considered that that would be an FB thing too. So yeah, I'm probably gonna make one of those eventually, no matter how much of my soul it crushes

Would you say things like twitter are less important then?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=wickedisgood;67079106]Yeah, I use whatsapp for my group chats too, I've never really considered that that would be an FB thing too. So yeah, I'm probably gonna make one of those eventually, no matter how much of my soul it crushes

Yeah you definitely don't need Twitter or Instagram or crap like that haha!

ReputationRep:
    you should get facebook even if you don't use it much, often nights out/etc are arranged on FB chats/groups so you'll miss out on that and household stuff in your flat may be discussed there but mainly group work at uni is usually organised through a FB chat/group so it will be awkward for everyone if you're not on there

ReputationRep:
    FB and Whatsapp are pretty much essential, they're just the universal ways of communicating to groups of people so if you don't have them you don't really get communicated to.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook minimum that's it. Only because of party invites, course updates etc

You don't need any others

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.