The Student Room Group

Orthoptics 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey guys!

I got my offer from Sheffield!

I had my interview on Wednesday 15th February 2017 and got an offer from them on Thursday 16th February 2017. I was surprised to say the least. I had thought that my interview didn't go as well as I'd hoped but surely they must've liked me if they replied a day later!
Reply 61
Hello!

I thought I'll write about what they had asked me and how my day overall was. This is for the people who will be applying next year and hope it helps! :smile:

When I got to the University, there was around 30-32 students applying for Orthoptics. One of my friend who is a early entry went to the 7th December 2016 interview and she said there was around 20 students and my other friend who went on the 8th February 2017 interview also said there was about 30 students. I'm assuming around 80-100 students got through to interview stage.

We were all split up into groups. I was in the second group which consisted of around 9 of us. We were given a tour of the library whilst the first group went to interview.

In my group I was the first one to start of the interview. Each interview was four minute long and there was four panels. Three panels were Sheffield Uni related and the fourth one was a actual patient. Like most people say its not really formal.

My first interviewer was one of the lecturer. He was really nice. My first question would've been how my travel to Sheffield was and what I think of it however, because I'm already from Sheffield he just went on to the next question. The next question was something along the lines of 'what qualities do you have that would suit you for this career?'. I was completely taken back because my mind went blank. I just blabbed on about being 'good with children and elderly people', 'hard working', 'multi-tasking'. I kept pausing and apologising because I couldn't remember any of my qualities. My second question was 'how would you adapt placements when you are staying away from home?'
Again, I just blabbed on about being 'independent', 'able to motivate myself'. I still had a minute left so he asked me if there was anything I wanted to ask.

My next interviewer was the seminar teacher. She was really nice. She asked me 'what experience do you have that makes you suitable for this career?' I talked about doing work experience at the children's orthoptics ward and work experience at a geriatric ward which consists of elderly people. I can't remember the second question.

My third interviewer was the head of the orthoptics wards at the Children's hospital.She also asked about experience so I talked about doing experience at her ward. She then asked me 'what was your proudest moment?'. My proudest moment was doing some teaching in school. She also asked about 'a time where I took leadership' so I talked about school again.

My last interviewer was a really sweet patient. She had different conditions and different treatments. There was a paper which advised you to ask these questions listed. I asked about her problem, treatment, how her experience has been. We had a minute left so i discussed about similar situations a relative was having to the patients. The patient was kind and giving advice. I asked her how her day has been here and what she has been doing so far. After that my interview was over.

After everyone in my team had finished the first year, second and last year students showed us around the areas we'd be when we start the course.

I genuinely thought that I didn't do as well as I could have at that moment however, now looking back I think I did ok. I kept waiting for a reply although they uni said they'd reply within a week. Ii was really surprised to have got a reply from them a day after! I am so happy and cannot express how much I have wanted this!

A lot of people said that they may ask about the difference between Optometry and Orthoptics and the NHS values however they didn't ask me those questions.

I hope this helps! :smile:
has anyone firmed anywhere yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
I've firmed Sheffield and insured Liverpool after withdrawing my application from Glasgow ☺️
I've put Liverpool for my firm and Sheffield for my insurance 😝
Reply 65
Original post by millicreevs17
I've put Liverpool for my firm and Sheffield for my insurance 😝

Haha we've chosen the opposite but good luck!!
Original post by Abbiems
Haha we've chosen the opposite but good luck!!

Thanks! Good luck to you too 😝
Reply 67
If anyone's interested in making a facebook group chat to get to know others studying orthoptics let me know ☺️
I've firmed Glasgow Caledonian
Reply 69
Hello! I've applied for this year! I've just heard back from everywhere and firmed Sheffield. I'm up for joining a group. :smile:

My Sheffield interview was also Feb 15th (I was in group 1) but I heard back 1 week later. Swapping people for the interview threw me a little, felt like I was speed dating, I preferred Liverpool's more traditional style one. Both were fine though, everyone was really nice.

I'm currently on an access course. Liverpool asked for highest grades (all 45 at distinction), closely followed by Sheffield, then Glasgow. I rekon I should manage. Good luck all!
Reply 70
Has anybody else applied for orthoptics through ucas extra? I applied and have been offered an interview on the 29th April and was wondering if anybody else is attending
Reply 71
How's everyone done with exams and interviews? Anyone else applying for this year? Anyone else with firm choice for Sheffield? :smile:
Hello ive received a conditional offer from Sheffield for orthoptics (BBB) however now that exams are a few days away I'm thinking I may get BBC in my A Levels. I have heard that people have gotten lower than their conditional offer and have still been accepted on to the course. I was wondering if any of you had a similar experience?Thanks
hey, so im applying for orthoptics for 2019 however ive got a problem, im in third year of college doing graphics, fine art, epq and retaking maths. i did do biology however i failed that. because i failed biology will that effect my application to apply to orthoptics. i have so much expereince for this course and im also applying for nursing but i really want to do orthoptics. can someone help me please!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest