Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I haven't studied either at GCSE but want to study speech and language therapy and these were recommended.
    My AS results were half good so I'm dropping history and want to pick up Biology and either Sociology or Psychology... I am struggling to decide which is more interesting but not overly difficult like history. Have anyone studied these subjects before and what did you think of them?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Id recommend psychology. I hated sociology and dropped it within 4 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Id recommend psychology. I hated sociology and dropped it within 4 months
    Thanks! Why did you prefer psychology, what subject content did you prefer?

ReputationRep:
    I've never studied Sociology, but my friend did and hated it.

However, I have just finished my first year of Psychology and come out with an A without putting too much time into it, so I'd recommend Psychology since I absolutely loved it (although I may be biased since I intend to study it at uni). I think you should definitely do Psychology, especially if you want to go into speech therapy. It's an area that I'm personally interested in too, and most of the advise I received concerning it recommended Psychology. Not going to lie, it was a bit time consuming - the concepts are easy enough to grasp, but memorising all the finer details of the studies was a little bit tedious. I found majority of it really interesting though.

Also, I'm a Biology student too, and Psychology fits quite well with that because some of the information overlaps since they're both a science. Good luck with whichever you choose, and I hope I've helped at least a little bit!

Also, just out of curiosity, what's your other subject? I'd imagine English Language would be a good choice due to the Language Acquisition module in A2.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology has a lot more to memorise essay and study wise. I'd pick psychology. It's also more interesting

ReputationRep:
    I studied both for A levels and I found Sociology significantly easier and more interesting than Psychology, not to say Psychology wasn't interesting. I could understand and remember facts from Sociology better than Psychology because the information was more relatable to me and I could easily apply the information to various situations I would come across in everyday life. Psychology felt more scientific to me and limited in application to some extent. They both feature research methods which tend to overlap with one another and you also need to remember many psychologists/sociologists names and the research associated with them. I found flashcards handy for remembering them all.

I love Sociology so much I decided to study it at uni in October .

I found these videos about the subjects which go into detail about the courses which you would find useful:

Sociology
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK5J0-cM-HE
    Psychology
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOFmzxkwOwI

I agree with another person who said that Psychology is more useful in becoming a Speech and Language Therapist but with most universities, you don't need to have studied Psychology A-Level to study the course at university because in the first year, you go over the basics of the subject.

Seems like most people are biased against Sociology here. Don't just go by what the majority are saying about Sociology. Weigh up everything associated with both subjects and then decide. You could also look at university student accounts for more detailed information about either of the subjects or look up more videos. You could even look through each of the textbooks to see whats included.

EDIT: Just realised they do BSc Speech & Language Therapy. I assumed you would do a undergrad course in Psychology and then a masters in Speech & Language Therapy.

EDIT 2: I almost didn't study A-level Sociology because I listened solely to other people's experiences with the subject and I had had my heart set on Psychology from yr 10. My school did A-level taster lessons and I went along to the Sociology one and I'm so glad I did because I found out what it was all about.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by lillycool)
    Hi guys,

I haven't studied either at GCSE but want to study speech and language therapy and these were recommended.
    My AS results were half good so I'm dropping history and want to pick up Biology and either Sociology or Psychology... I am struggling to decide which is more interesting but not overly difficult like history. Have anyone studied these subjects before and what did you think of them?

Thanks!
    You should pick up Psychology or English Language (if your school offers that). Psychology is more suited to Speech and Language Therapy. My friend does it and she said her A-level in Psych helped her a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about going into speech therapy after my degree. I did both psychology and sociology at a level. Sociology wasn't that interesting but it's quite easy to get a high grade with little effort. Psychology was not difficult, it was interesting but I found the exams much harder than sociology as there was a lot of memorisation involved and I do not have the greatest memory. I also did biology (dropped after AS bc I got an E) and English language. If you're interested in speech and language therapy and can't decide between psychology and sociology I would highly recommend English language as in A2 we learnt a lot about language acquisition.

ReputationRep:
    I did both... I've studied sociology at GCSE and A-level so 4 years and did psychology for A-level ( just finished A2) but I feel psychology is more scientific where as sociology is more social. Personally I enjoyed psychology more as it's interesting and just appeals more and is what Im studying in uni but I really enjoy sociology also as it has a lot of real life application. I ended up getting an A* in both but would recommend psychology if you like science and sociology if you enjoy learning about society. Also both require the recall of studies - psychology is really study based eg.. Techniques, participants etc where as sociology is all essay based and you insert the studies in within the paragraphs. So a lot of memorising needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lillycool)
    Thanks! Why did you prefer psychology, what subject content did you prefer?
    I've always adored psychology, I want a career in it so I am slightly biased. I can't really pinpoint it, however in sociology it wasn't what I expected, I studied education and stuff like feminism, which I had no interest in whatsoever! I actually fell asleep once and got sent home, it was that dull!

ReputationRep:
    I found sociology really interesting, I've studied 6 a level subjects and it was one of the most enjoyable. Achieved an A* grade in it and although I obviously had to work to get the grade it was so interesting that it didn't feel as much of a chore in comparison to my other subjects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.