Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got my AS results in which I got a D in core maths and a U in Statistics, making it an E overall. I am thinking of dropping this and carrying on and getting A levels in Physics, Product design and Media Studies. Are there any university engineering courses which will allow these qualifications as I will not have A level maths

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe that you will do well in an engineering degree?

ReputationRep:
    Maths is essential for all engineering, forget the media studies and focus on maths.

ReputationRep:
    How is Media Studies going to help? I think you will need 3 facilitating subjects to do engineering: e.g. Maths, Physics & Chemistry. It's very competitive and you will need good grades at A2. You might want to consider different options. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Search UCAS/google for engineering courses with a foundation year as some accept any A-Levels. These may suit you if you don't mind an extra year at University. Here is one at Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    You might get onto a foundation year or be able to start an open university course without maths...

but

TBH if the D is a fair reflection of your ability in maths if everything went right you're going to run into a brick wall in your first year at uni, if you got a D because you were dicking around / not taking it seriously or had some disastrous personal extenuating circumstances and you could have done a lot better, then it's worth thinking about ways you could proceed.

fwiw this guy eventually got into Durham for physics despite poor A level results http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2055250 but reading between the lines he was always 'clever enough' and didn't apply himself fully during his A levels for some reason.

wrt facilitating subjects maths, physics are the important ones

ReputationRep:
    Software Engineering?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rickwsam12)
    I just got my AS results in which I got a D in core maths and a U in Statistics, making it an E overall. I am thinking of dropping this and carrying on and getting A levels in Physics, Product design and Media Studies. Are there any university engineering courses which will allow these qualifications as I will not have A level maths
    Maths is the single most important facilitating subject for engineering. If you want to study engineering, then really focus on your maths.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Doing engineering without A level maths is like trying to boil an egg without a heat source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickwsam12)
    With Physics and Design there are a few engineering courses, but they are few. Off top of my head I can think of this one, which is a combination of Materials Engineering with Product Design, and would be a good preparation for many manufacturing careers, such as 3D printing. My university used to offer a similar course, but it has been discontinued.

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...ses/79893.html

or even this one

http://www.sems.qmul.ac.uk/ugadmissi...ve-engineering

or even UCL Civil Engineering

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...ng-civil-beng/

Otherwise check out Product Design courses, as they often have engineering elements in them.

Lastly, there are always foundation years if you drop maths.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering and Media Studies are not a good combination. Best to check with the universities on their entry requirements and what subjects they want. Maths is very important in Engineering and you will be competing for a place on the course.

Media studies will embarrass you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.