Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how and where you subscribe to bma magazines?i have tried in shops and the internet and still havn't got anywhere!!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why dont u just visit the BMA website, they have an online bookshop, and most likely you'll can subscribe the magazine from there.

Although, the info on the website will be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthjane)
    does anyone know how and where you subscribe to bma magazines?i have tried in shops and the internet and still havn't got anywhere!!! :confused:
    agree in principle with the other poster, except for I would say, just go to the website - you can read all the articals fro free . The sBMJ is also free online, which will be loads more helpful to you as a medic wanna be.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/

http://www.studentbmj.com/

If you want access to special editions though you need to subscribe. not sure if you can subscribe to the sBMJ without being a student member of the BMA - I could be making this up though. The supscription rate for the 'adults' BMJ is high! I order it through work - much cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    not sure if you can subscribe to the sBMJ without being a student member of the BMA - I could be making this up though. The supscription rate for the 'adults' BMJ is high! I order it through work - much cheaper
    yeah, i subscribed to the sBMJ when i was 16...sorted it out on the net, i was classed as an 'associate professional' or something hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    yeah, i subscribed to the sBMJ when i was 16...sorted it out on the net, i was classed as an 'associate professional' or something hehe
    Yeah - I'm an associate professional member of the BMA too - great! full access to restricted web site areas! didn't subscribe to the sBMJ though, cos from what I was told the only worthwhile edition that doesn't go on line is the jokey christmas one, which has silly articals init like working out scientifically how many mince pies santa will have to eat to power himselve round the globe in 1 night

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - I'm an associate professional member of the BMA too - great! full access to restricted web site areas! didn't subscribe to the sBMJ though, cos from what I was told the only worthwhile edition that doesn't go on line is the jokey christmas one, which has silly articals init like working out scientifically how many mince pies santa will have to eat to power himselve round the globe in 1 night
    lol, i'm a proper member of the BMA now (always a good thing when you're fighting off all of those pre-clinical law suits!).

and yes, you're right - it's much more economical to read the issues online, i just prefer something to read on the train (well until JK Rowling gets around to releasing another 'train worthy' adventure). i actually got a letter published some time ago about how more basic first aid should be included in the first year curriculum at all med schools - and i still stand by that.

ReputationRep:
    I shall join in freshers week. As for those law suits, I got myself a bar monkey with more than a passing interest in medical neglegence! Our friends find it histerical - Bodger and badger they call us. I guess I'm bodger, but he would be more fix em up than badger

well done on your artical. I'm about to submit one on the state of finances of grads entering medicine as a first degree (where regardless of whter you unmarried co-habiting partner supports you or not, his/her earnings are knocked of your loan. Crazy! unless you are in a same sex relationship, where by their earnings are not counted. Double crazy! Neither of us were prepared to undergo a sex change though )

lol, i'm a proper member of the BMA now (always a good thing when you're fighting off all of those pre-clinical law suits!).

and yes, you're right - it's much more economical to read the issues online, i just prefer something to read on the train (well until JK Rowling gets around to releasing another 'train worthy' adventure). i actually got a letter published some time ago about how more basic first aid should be included in the first year curriculum at all med schools - and i still stand by that.

ReputationRep:
    I shall join in freshers week. As for those law suits, I got myself a bar monkey with more than a passing interest in medical neglegence! Our friends find it histerical - Bodger and badger they call us. I guess I'm bodger, but he would be more fix em up than badger
    lol, get a few advertisment cards printed and i'll give them out with all future consultations Medical law is certainly lucrivative, not surprisingly, quite a lot of med. lawyers already hold a MB ChB - there's one way to get your own back on the profession.

well done on your artical. I'm about to submit one on the state of finances of grads entering medicine as a first degree (where regardless of whter you unmarried co-habiting partner supports you or not, his/her earnings are knocked of your loan. Crazy! unless you are in a same sex relationship, where by their earnings are not counted. Double crazy! Neither of us were prepared to undergo a sex change though )
    can't you find any loop-holes around that? can he live in the shed or something, or maybe you could sneak home in the middle of the night like a naughty school-girl. where there's a will, there's a way (more so in geriatric wards!).

ReputationRep:
    can't you find any loop-holes around that? can he live in the shed or something, or maybe you could sneak home in the middle of the night like a naughty school-girl. where there's a will, there's a way (more so in geriatric wards!).
    unfortunately we share a one bed flat. It would be ok if it were a 2 bed, but it's not

Still my other half is looking into it in more detail (appealing/some kind of precident court action - not the sex change!). The unmarried partners thing is a recent introduction, I guess to try to recoup money lost by hte number of peeps marrying falling. At the end of the day it's a loan though, it has to be paid back! It therefore should really matter what you other half earns! I'll be OK for the first couple of years as boyf is still very junior and the pay for junior barristers is crapper than crap! you would get more in McD's. It's towards the end of the course that there may be problems. I've never needed or asked for his help financially before, so why should he have to support me at med school? I've seen 2 very stable relationships break up over this this year alone (graduate on med course, partner earning). Tragic

ReputationRep:
    lol, get a few advertisment cards printed and i'll give them out with all future consultations Medical law is certainly lucrivative, not surprisingly, quite a lot of med. lawyers already hold a MB ChB - there's one way to get your own back on the profession.
    :eek: Oh gosh, that just makes me even more scared!

I haven't actually ever got round to reading student BMJ yet

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately we share a one bed flat. It would be ok if it were a 2 bed, but it's not

Still my other half is looking into it in more detail (appealing/some kind of precident court action - not the sex change!). The unmarried partners thing is a recent introduction, I guess to try to recoup money lost by hte number of peeps marrying falling. At the end of the day it's a loan though, it has to be paid back! It therefore should really matter what you other half earns! I'll be OK for the first couple of years as boyf is still very junior and the pay for junior barristers is crapper than crap! you would get more in McD's. It's towards the end of the course that there may be problems. I've never needed or asked for his help financially before, so why should he have to support me at med school? I've seen 2 very stable relationships break up over this this year alone (graduate on med course, partner earning). Tragic
    sounds like something the office of the deputy prime minister would come up with! maybe this is society's way of telling you that you should get married - a barrister and a doctor, i sense a set of flash cars and an estate up in oxfordshire...

one question though, how can they prove that you are 'partners' and not just living together?

ReputationRep:
    oh great... i'll get to that straight away!!thanks very much Fluffy and JnA!No doubt i'll be back soon for more of your advice!lol!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 17, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.