Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just finished my first year of Uni, my results weren't so good for a couple of reasons. Last year i failed my A levels but was accepted into a uni anyway, i decided to go to Uni whilst trying to redo some of my A-levels (work and exams) looking back on it it was a really bad decision. Anyway, i found doing both work really hard and began to start finding my Uni work harder and harder. At this time i also started feeling more depressed about my situation,my weight and work and began missing lessons because i felt so embarrassed and humiliated. I never went to the doctor about it because i was too embarrassed, but even my mum (i lived at home during my first year ) noticed the way i as acting.....So i did badly in my results and want to redo the year, I asked my Uni about it and they said i needed to file a 'Mitigation Form', I only thought mitigation forms were used for late essays, but now i'm having to file one to redo the year and im worried.I have to offer 'proof' of why i want to 'mitigate' and apart from talking about balancing my A level and Uni work, i don't know what to say really, i know mentioning my mental health during that time could be used on the Mitigation claim but i've never even talked about my problems before to anyone..and im worried even if i file this Mitigation form it will be rejected... and then what will i do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just finished my first year of Uni, my results weren't so good for a couple of reasons. Last year i failed my A levels but was accepted into a uni anyway, i decided to go to Uni whilst trying to redo some of my A-levels (work and exams) looking back on it it was a really bad decision. Anyway, i found doing both work really hard and began to start finding my Uni work harder and harder. At this time i also started feeling more depressed about my situation,my weight and work and began missing lessons because i felt so embarrassed and humiliated. I never went to the doctor about it because i was too embarrassed, but even my mum (i lived at home during my first year ) noticed the way i as acting.....So i did badly in my results and want to redo the year, I asked my Uni about it and they said i needed to file a 'Mitigation Form', I only thought mitigation forms were used for late essays, but now i'm having to file one to redo the year and im worried.I have to offer 'proof' of why i want to 'mitigate' and apart from talking about balancing my A level and Uni work, i don't know what to say really, i know mentioning my mental health during that time could be used on the Mitigation claim but i've never even talked about my problems before to anyone..and im worried even if i file this Mitigation form it will be rejected... and then what will i do?
    Honesty is the best policy. You need to tell the staff about your problems so that they can help you and work out a way through this.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would definitely recommend going to see a doctor and telling them about how you've been feeling. Hopefully they will be able to give you a doctors certificate which you can use when you file your mitigation form. Depression is an illness and that is sufficient grounds for your mitigation form to be approved.
    I know it's hard talking about depression, I've been there, but you've already done the hardest part by speaking to us today. Don't be ashamed or embarrassed. Talk to your doctor, you mum and your university. If you find it hard to psychically talk about it, write them a letter. I am sure that they will all be understanding.
    Good luck and if you need anymore advice, please don't hesitate to PM me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.