The Student Room Group

Changing from Chemistry to Social Science

Hello!

I am on track to finish in Chemistry at a decent (top 25 perhaps) but not amazing uni, with first class next year. I have an internship with an economic think tank, as well as a year studying abroad in Hong Kong, and my intention is to change career quite significantly.

So has anyone ever heard of, or have any experience of, a change like this? I am aware in Economics there are graduate diplomas avaliable (Birkbeck) that offer a decent chance of acceptance onto LSE, Oxbridge master programmes. But if I were more interested in say, International Relations, I really don't know where to start.

Predictably my academic background excludes me from many master programmes for IR and the Social Sciences in general, so I was hoping someone might have advice in how to approach this...

Thank you!!
Original post by JamieHarp
Hello!

I am on track to finish in Chemistry at a decent (top 25 perhaps) but not amazing uni, with first class next year. I have an internship with an economic think tank, as well as a year studying abroad in Hong Kong, and my intention is to change career quite significantly.

So has anyone ever heard of, or have any experience of, a change like this? I am aware in Economics there are graduate diplomas avaliable (Birkbeck) that offer a decent chance of acceptance onto LSE, Oxbridge master programmes. But if I were more interested in say, International Relations, I really don't know where to start.

Predictably my academic background excludes me from many master programmes for IR and the Social Sciences in general, so I was hoping someone might have advice in how to approach this...

Thank you!!

IR is generally quite flexible on entry routes, so keep looking. Chemistry undergrad but with relevant work experience shouldn't be a stopper to many courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending