Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On my CV i have lied about spring internships I have said that i attended two. Will this pose an issue when applying for summer internships. I know exactly what happened during the spring internship from people who were actually there also have names of supervisors if asked. I ask this because could a bank check if i had attended these or would they just let it pass and question it in an interview.
    I should add that i was scheduled to attend these spring internships its just that there was two deaths in my family and it was people who were very close to me, Because of this i knew I couldn't go as it was a very stressful time for me and my close family members.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, committing fraud isn't going go well for you applying for internships.

ReputationRep:
    May as well come clean now. Been to countless events where they say they remove people for lying just before grad roles or even past that.

Integrity is such a big thing in the industry. Don't waste your time.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by bank100)
    On my CV i have lied about spring internships I have said that i attended two. Will this pose an issue when applying for summer internships. I know exactly what happened during the spring internship from people who were actually there also have names of supervisors if asked. I ask this because could a bank check if i had attended these or would they just let it pass and question it in an interview.
    I should add that i was scheduled to attend these spring internships its just that there was two deaths in my family and it was people who were very close to me, Because of this i knew I couldn't go as it was a very stressful time for me and my close family members.

Many thanks
    Yup, you'll easily be found out, and now if you tell the truth you'll be just as screwed. When you had a legitimate reason, why did you feel the need to lie?

I'd advise you take it off your CV, and simply put in your covering letter that you were selected but were unable to attend due to a family bereavement (which had better be true!). if you've already submitted applications, you'd better hope you don't get through to interview!

ReputationRep:
    background checks are extensive so you're screwed m8

should ve put sw offers received but wasn't able to attend due to extenuating circumstances...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Many thanks

About 6 months ago there was a poster who was proud of telling lies and getting job offers related to IB. If he was to be believed it made all the difference. If uoi are going to lie then do not get caught.

Ofc its a fraud that can come and haunt you later on in life. In your circumstances they would probably just dismiss you instantly.

If you did it for a full time job then not only would you be dismissed for gross misconduct, you could gave a criminal prosecution.

They are unlikely to find out, but it probably wasnt worth the risk. What they would realise is that you have little integrity, make foolish decisions are dishonest and cant be trusted. All those are much bigger things about the type of person you are and how you react for gain or under pressure. You arent the sort of persin they would wnat to employ and trust with large sums of money.

All that is notwithstanding your personal misfortune.

ReputationRep:
    If you've already submitted it, I'd honestly say that you shouldn't come clean now. If you do, they'll most likely get rid of your application straight away, whereas there is a chance that you may not get caught out at all

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I have changed my CV i have put the banks name at the top and written that an offer was received but could not attend due to extenuating circumstances. Is this okay or should I just remove it completely ?

ReputationRep:
    So, the reality is you should not have lied. I'd contact the bank and say you made a serious error on your CV of misrepresentation, ask to submit a new one or to withdraw your application. Say you were scheduled to attend them on the CV in one line rather than pretending you did. Best solution is to just not get involved with the interview process at the banks where you have lied.

In saying that, if the bank in question uses a Hire Right background screening check and if it's only a basic disclosure... Then when they ask for your work experience and your CV, make sure this is omitted and it won't be checked. And very likely it will not be picked up either. The banks just get a report and one line is like "CV Analysis - No Anomalies". But why put yourself through that, man?

If you are found out, it will be career suicide - and even worse consequences if you get as far as getting approved by the FCA to work as an Analyst. And then the bank finds out you've lied.

Moral of the story - don't lie. Put it right by either withdrawing or requesting to amend it.

Demonstrating good judgement and decision making is so critical at all levels in banking. And yes - they take this **** EXTREMELY serious now, especially at junior levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Okay so I have changed my CV i have put the banks name at the top and written that an offer was received but could not attend due to extenuating circumstances. Is this okay or should I just remove it completely ?
    It shouldn't be in your CV at all. A CV is about things you have done, and you haven't done these two schemes. You can mention you were selected in the covering letter though.

ReputationRep:
    This is fine in my opinion as it is the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Banks swap info all the time. Spring internships are closely monitored. If they find out you lied, you will get fired and most likely blacklisted from every major bank in the UK. Your call pal...

ReputationRep:
    Banks are one of things that check alot on you

ReputationRep:
    mike rosss

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.