The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Entry 2017

Hello there. If you are interested in applying to Keele or has already done so feel free to share your stats, any questions or advice.

My question is how does Keele look at the UKCAT?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natalia.medicine
Hello there. If you are interested in applying to Keele or has already done so feel free to share your stats, any questions or advice.

My question is how does Keele look at the UKCAT?

applicants within the lowest 20% of UKCAT scores will not be considered,
they use ukcat in conjunction with gcse results
what is your score? will be able to decipher from that whether yours is high enough, but all the scores havent yet been submitted so it is unknown how well or how badly the rest of the candidates have performed
Original post by Emmacrowntree
applicants within the lowest 20% of UKCAT scores will not be considered,
they use ukcat in conjunction with gcse results
what is your score? will be able to decipher from that whether yours is high enough, but all the scores havent yet been submitted so it is unknown how well or how badly the rest of the candidates have performed

So do you think that with a 610 average it's not worth applying?
Original post by natalia.medicine
So do you think that with a 610 average it's not worth applying?

I applied with a 625 average and got in. If you still want to apply I think you can make it.
Original post by Workaholism
I applied with a 625 average and got in. If you still want to apply I think you can make it.

I know the offer is A* AA but on their website it says something an offer of AAAa if EPQ is taken ?
Is anyone aware of how much volunteering you actually need to be competitive here?
Original post by Orangeflower6
Is anyone aware of how much volunteering you actually need to be competitive here?

Another direct pull from their website: "maximum credit for duration of work experience is given for more than 160 hours" - work experience can include volunteering and don't necessarily have to be in a medical field.

Maybe you can answer one of my questions :biggrin: On their website, it says we need to achieve A*AA but it doesn't mention anything about minimum predictions - will I be immediately rejected if all I am predicted is AAA?

Original post by stressed16
I know the offer is A* AA but on their website it says something an offer of AAAa if EPQ is taken ?

My question ^^ is something similar but to apply with AAA, you need to have already achieved AAA (i.e. applying after a gap year / as a graduate etc) and another A in either an AS or the EPQ.

Any idea if I can apply with AAA predictions?
Original post by aRandomGuy
Another direct pull from their website: "maximum credit for duration of work experience is given for more than 160 hours" - work experience can include volunteering and don't necessarily have to be in a medical field.

Maybe you can answer one of my questions :biggrin: On their website, it says we need to achieve A*AA but it doesn't mention anything about minimum predictions - will I be immediately rejected if all I am predicted is AAA?

That's great, I have 183 and counting so may apply!! Haha thanks again:biggrin: I think you will need to be predicted AAA but the offer will be A*AA, but you should call admissions to check as its better to be safe than an immediate rejection and I'm not sure myself, it doesn't say on the website. Is there no way one of your predictions can be bumped up? I think its just to make sure people who apply are likely to have it as their firm- you wouldn't really insure an A*AA offer.
Also, does anyone know what the requirements are to be invited to interview based on academics?
Original post by Orangeflower6
That's great, I have 183 and counting so may apply!! Haha thanks again:biggrin: I think you will need to be predicted AAA but the offer will be A*AA, but you should call admissions to check as its better to be safe than an immediate rejection and I'm not sure myself, it doesn't say on the website. Is there no way one of your predictions can be bumped up? I think its just to make sure people who apply are likely to have it as their firm- you wouldn't really insure an A*AA offer.
Also, does anyone know what the requirements are to be invited to interview based on academics?

http://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/mbchb5years/entryrouteshowtoapply/
I've just checked the FAQ section on their website and great news, they don't place any emphasis on Predicted Grades so we can apply with anything as long as we can achieve A*AA at A2. The only academics you have to meet are:
1. 5 GCSE subjects at grade A, not including short-course GCSEs. Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Chemistry and Physics must be passed at a minimum of grade B.
2. UKCAT must be above the bottom 20% nationally. Immediate rejection with Band 4 SJT

All candidates who surpass these are sent the R and R form which is marked and scrutinised heavily and calls for interview are based on your score of this form.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Roles%20form%202017%20DRAFT.pdf
Original post by aRandomGuy
http://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/mbchb5years/entryrouteshowtoapply/
I've just checked the FAQ section on their website and great news, they don't place any emphasis on Predicted Grades so we can apply with anything as long as we can achieve A*AA at A2. The only academics you have to meet are:
1. 5 GCSE subjects at grade A, not including short-course GCSEs. Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Chemistry and Physics must be passed at a minimum of grade B.
2. UKCAT must be above the bottom 20% nationally. Immediate rejection with Band 4 SJT

All candidates who surpass these are sent the R and R form which is marked and scrutinised heavily and calls for interview are based on your score of this form.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Roles%20form%202017%20DRAFT.pdf

Ah, I thought so! I should have checked the FAQ's! Great, are you applying then? I have read that they interview 100 based on academics and the rest based on minimum requirements and the R and R form! I would be interested to know what academics you need to be invited from those alone, I'm just reading through last years thread to try to find out!
I am applying with achieved A levels. They say if you have already got AAA plus an A at AS level then you font need the A* and it is AAAa that I have so I hope they font change their tune. I failed to get interview last year due to low ulcer. It is better thus year at 660 and band 1 sjt. Since I got my results and decided against taking up my biomed offer I am in paid emplyment AS a care worker. Working 40 hours per week some of which is in hospitals. I am learning so much that will be beneficial to my career test I am actually glad that I did not get offer last year. Going to be working full-time in this job to earn money until April then I will travel.

I like the look of Keele though I am applying because it fits my strengths and is not too ukcat heavy. Also I think AS it is one of the few that is asking for the A* grade fewer may apply there.
Original post by BadLashes
I am applying with achieved A levels. They say if you have already got AAA plus an A at AS level then you font need the A* and it is AAAa that I have so I hope they font change their tune. I failed to get interview last year due to low ulcer. It is better thus year at 660 and band 1 sjt. Since I got my results and decided against taking up my biomed offer I am in paid emplyment AS a care worker. Working 40 hours per week some of which is in hospitals. I am learning so much that will be beneficial to my career test I am actually glad that I did not get offer last year. Going to be working full-time in this job to earn money until April then I will travel.

I like the look of Keele though I am applying because it fits my strengths and is not too ukcat heavy. Also I think AS it is one of the few that is asking for the A* grade fewer may apply there.

I also had the theory that with moving the offer up less will apply. Lets hope so!
I have an overall score of 1760 do you think this would be considered? I have 6A*'s at gcse and ABB at a level. I am a graduate hoping to apply to keele.*
Hello- I was hoping for some help. I am a Chemistry graduate (with a 2:1) and I'm wanting to apply for medicine at Keele University. Unfortunately my ukcat went badly due to being poorly on the day. I averaged 575 with a band 1. Have I miss the cut off? Will I be able to do a BMAT to override the low ukcat. I would have scored better if I wasn't so poorly that day and hope it hasn't ruined my chances. I have a lot of work experience/ volunteer work. Thanks for any help anybody can give :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Workaholism

Hey, Would you mind telling me how you wrote your roles and responsiblities form which part of the application process? Like what did you include?
I just logged on to deliver some good news for the Keele applicants 2017.
I attended the open day yesterday and the Director of Admissions said they only received 1200 applications by the deadline!! Down from 2400 2016 entry!!
They will be interviewing around 600 candidates. Well good chance of getting an interview, UKCAT lowest 1730. Very strict about the graduates GCSE, predicted grades do not matter as this A level is new.
On the data section of MMI, he said that questions will be simple dosage calculations, volume ,milligram kind of calculations
Do your R&R well using the guidelines given to bag an interview
Good luck,parent
Original post by Esther1986
I just logged on to deliver some good news for the Keele applicants 2017.
I attended the open day yesterday and the Director of Admissions said they only received 1200 applications by the deadline!! Down from 2400 2016 entry!!
They will be interviewing around 600 candidates. Well good chance of getting an interview, UKCAT lowest 1730. Very strict about the graduates GCSE, predicted grades do not matter as this A level is new.
On the data section of MMI, he said that questions will be simple dosage calculations, volume ,milligram kind of calculations
Do your R&R well using the guidelines given to bag an interview
Good luck,parent

Thank you for this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I bet the reason why for lower applicants is the requirement for an A* at A level.
Or the AAAa if achieved already

Quick Reply

Latest