Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my AS results yesterday and got a D in chemistry, D in biology and an E in physics I was predicted As and Bs and really want to study Biochemistry at university. My a levels were new spec so these grades don't count towards next year but is it possible to go from these grades to Bs?? Also what are my chances of getti uni offers with these results, and would I be more likely to get accepted into a foundation degree first??

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm in a similar position myself; my AS results were Psychology D, English Literature C, Law C. I'm trying to aim to study law at university so ideally i need at least B's in all my subjects (My first choice uni has a lowered offer). Personally, I think it is possible as long as you don't get complacent. I admit that this first year I wasn't as on the ball as i would have hoped, so this year at least i can learn from my mistakes- revise earlier etc. Universities only look at AS results where courses are very popular in order to narrow down candidates.Sorry, I know this isn't particularly useful, but just to let you know that you're not alone. I myself get concerned when i see others achieving As and Bs in their first year. Don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iphysics)
    I got my AS results yesterday and got a D in chemistry, D in biology and an E in physics I was predicted As and Bs and really want to study Biochemistry at university. My a levels were new spec so these grades don't count towards next year but is it possible to go from these grades to Bs?? Also what are my chances of getti uni offers with these results, and would I be more likely to get accepted into a foundation degree first??
    Hi,
    I'm in the same boat as you i was quite dissapointed with my as results (got an E in chemistry, D in maths and a C in biology) and i was predicted A's. All i can say is what i've been told which is that next year is VERY difficult, It would mean you would have to do exceptionally well in the second year to not only catch up with the material from AS but also learn A2 stuff which is supposed to be more difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible just that it will be a lot of hard work.

But there are other options such as repeating the first year which sounds bad but is probably quite a good idea. This way you would of already done a "dummy" year which will mean that you will have a great advantage over most others. There will also be a few more past papers to practice from and the teachers will understand the specification in more detail. You can also learn from any mistakes from the first year.

And sorry i'm not sure about the uni offers.

Hopefully that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsgu)
    All i can say is what i've been told which is that next year is VERY difficult, It would mean you would have to do exceptionally well in the second year to not only catch up with the material from AS but also learn A2 stuff which is supposed to be more difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible just that it will be a lot of hard work
    But it's new spec- Unless specified, AS grades don't count toward the final A Level grade, they would only be looked at in case of competition for spaces. However, my Law AS DOES count towards half of the final grade, and it is recommended that if we feel that we are unhappy with it or the final grade at the end of two years, that we can do a re-sit of the first year.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely think it is possible! I did my first AS year again and went from UUUC to BBCC (I know its not A2 though which is harder), in the new spec you have to do all the AS exams again anyway so if you work hard you can definitely improve the grades!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it! I've been looking at BTECs too, I found one in Medical Science, it would mean being a year older when I go to uni but I'm not sure what to do... Are BTECs regarded highly enough for science degrees or should I stick it out with A-levels and do my best with those? I'm just worried I will do badly again and have wasted another year I'm willing to work hard but would appreciate some help haha! :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it! I've been looking at BTECs too, I found one in Medical Science, it would mean being a year older when I go to uni but I'm not sure what to do... Are BTECs regarded highly enough for science degrees or should I stick it out with A-levels and do my best with those? I'm just worried I will do badly again and have wasted another year I'm willing to work hard but would appreciate some help haha! :/
    I'm in a similar situation where I got an E in both Chemistry and Biology from A's and B's all year so I'm going to talk to all my teachers about taking mocks when school starts to put up my predicted grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.