Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I want to study medicine, but am unsure about my chances of getting into med school this year. Do you think that if i were to do a gap year with deferred entry (i would still have to apply this year) i would hav higher chance of entering med school in 2006 instead of 2005 (because in 2006 a lot of students would be put off due to them having to face the top up fees)?

Thanx 4 the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sum1_86)
    Hi guys,

I want to study medicine, but am unsure about my chances of getting into med school this year. Do you think that if i were to do a gap year with deferred entry (i would still have to apply this year) i would hav higher chance of entering med school in 2006 instead of 2005 (because in 2006 a lot of students would be put off due to them having to face the top up fees)?

Thanx 4 the help
    Bear in mind that next year most med schools will have a minimum grade requirement of AAB (they have gotten together to standardise, after the lower offer places were constantly being made insurances. If you get AAB the yeah, gap and apply in 2006.

If you don't do as well as expected in your exams, I would be careful, a lot of the schools that traditionally accept resit students have said that they are not sure if they will after this year (Barts and St Georges amongst others) as they can make there offers 3 times over to people who got the grades first time.

However if you make the most of your gap year and do something worthwhile and constructive, it can make the difference between an average application and a **** hot one....

ReputationRep:
    Also, I'm not sure that peeps will be put off applying in 2006... Sure it will cost more, but you only pay once you've graduated and are earning over a threshold. As things stand a fair few students are liable for fees have to pay now, while they are broke and with little earning capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sum1_86)
    Hi guys,

Thanx 4 the help
    If you apply for deferred entry this year then you will still avoid top up fees...it starts for the 2005 applicants not all of the 2006 university entrants. Well that's what I've been told anyway. Why are you unsure about your chances this time anyway? Are you planning on doing something really amazing in your gap year that is gonna make your application heaps better?...to be honest, i would have thought that if your the sort of person that the uni wants to take in they'll accept for 2005 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happyelf)
    If you apply for deferred entry this year then you will still avoid top up fees...it starts for the 2005 applicants not all of the 2006 university entrants. Well that's what I've been told anyway. Why are you unsure about your chances this time anyway? Are you planning on doing something really amazing in your gap year that is gonna make your application heaps better?...to be honest, i would have thought that if your the sort of person that the uni wants to take in they'll accept for 2005 entry.
    i second that

i applied for a deferred entry in 2003 and got 3 out of 4 of my choices. At my interviews, the universities (cambridge, birmingham, manchester/keele) didnt ask me much about my plans for my gap year though. All i said in my PS was that "id like to take a year out in order to get a job to fund my stay at uni and learn to be independant"

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 18, 2004

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.