Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What the title says.... I checked the modules and it said 'independent' and 'problem solving', but wouldn't that imply that all the learning must be done individually?

Would love to hear from anybody on the course!

Thanks,

Jeremy

ReputationRep:
    You're likely to be put in a module designed specifically for engineers, so don't worry about it being aimed towards hardcore maths lovers. Do you have the module code? Something like "MEC1## - Mathematics for Engineers". I found that the pace of the course and the amount of work expected per week is approximately equal to a maths A-level.

I can't accurately say how "easy" you'll find it because it differs from student to student, but from my friend group we all agreed that by turning up to the lectures and taking notes, we would understand the first 40 minutes of a 50 minute lecture straight away - that last little bit of information took a second or third reading to really secure. If something really stumps you, it might require a few extra hours of work but the point of a first year maths module is to catch everyone up to the same level (you will have classmates from all over the world, each with different maths knowledge levels), NOT to leave anybody behind

ReputationRep:
    It's 2 lectures per week plus 1 tutorial per week, though you'll need to do problem sheets outside of these.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that sounds good! Is the rest of the course also paced the same as A level - I've heard exams at uni are 'better' than those at A level and was wondering whether you would tend to agree with that for mech eng?

(Original post by P-Rex)
    You're likely to be put in a module designed specifically for engineers, so don't worry about it being aimed towards hardcore maths lovers. Do you have the module code? Something like "MEC1## - Mathematics for Engineers". I found that the pace of the course and the amount of work expected per week is approximately equal to a maths A-level.

I can't accurately say how "easy" you'll find it because it differs from student to student, but from my friend group we all agreed that by turning up to the lectures and taking notes, we would understand the first 40 minutes of a 50 minute lecture straight away - that last little bit of information took a second or third reading to really secure. If something really stumps you, it might require a few extra hours of work but the point of a first year maths module is to catch everyone up to the same level (you will have classmates from all over the world, each with different maths knowledge levels), NOT to leave anybody behind

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much I saw no mention in the core maths module details on the portal of lectures, so that had me confused!

(Original post by Helloworld_95)
    It's 2 lectures per week plus 1 tutorial per week, though you'll need to do problem sheets outside of these.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my first year so here's all you need to know:
    - You have 2 classes each week in which you work over questions with a tutor
    - You get set online tests to complete, twice a week. You will watch tutorial videos and then answer questions on what you'll have learnt. These online tests count for 15% of your overall grade for the maths module
    - Final examination in summer. Counting for 85%
    - 3 full-course lectures in which you discuss details of the course.

Let me know if you need to know anything else

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.