Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Now I recently got my accomadation offer from Leeds, the university that I've wanted to go to since the start of my a levels, and simply put the accomadation that I've been offered is not exactly the one I wanted. Now I'm not being picky but the halls are Liberty Dock and I've been reading reviews looking at photos of the rooms and it seems to be a 50/50 experience, some people give it 4 stars saying that the rooms are environment are brilliant but people draw mention to the fact that the halls are 50 minutes walk from the campus, and that the accomadation is split up between the 3 universities in Leeds, some people say the social side is really good, because the halls are so far away the people tend to stick together. And it is also rated as the worst accomadation available to Leeds students. My question is do I accept the offer as I have really wanted to go to Leeds and just hope that I have a good experience or are the weaknesses in location and possibly social side enough to maybe make me defer my place or go for my second choice in Liverpool, I've tried to ask to have my flat changed but they said it can't be done until October, and I don't really want to move into a new flat late. I guess my main question is would a bad hall massively affect my overall experience?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaterlowJ)
    Hello
    Now I recently got my accommodation offer from Leeds, the university that I've wanted to go to since the start of my a levels, and simply put the accommodation that I've been offered is not exactly the one I wanted. Now I'm not being picky but the halls are Liberty Dock and I've been reading reviews looking at photos of the rooms and it seems to be a 50/50 experience, some people give it 4 stars saying that the rooms are environment are brilliant but people draw mention to the fact that the halls are 50 minutes walk from the campus, and that the accommodation is split up between the 3 universities in Leeds, some people say the social side is really good, because the halls are so far away the people tend to stick together. And it is also rated as the worst accomadation available to Leeds students. My question is do I accept the offer as I have really wanted to go to Leeds and just hope that I have a good experience or are the weaknesses in location and possibly social side enough to maybe make me defer my place or go for my second choice in Liverpool, I've tried to ask to have my flat changed but they said it can't be done until October, and I don't really want to move into a new flat late. I guess my main question is would a bad hall massively affect my overall experience?
    Thanks
    No it shouldn't affect your over all experience end of the day it's the people you hang out with and your interest in your course that make your university experience tolerable. Honestly you are thinking about throwing away an offer to your first choice uni which you have been wanting to get into for ages for a back-up....because of accommodation which you will most likely move out of in your second year and never live in halls again?? This doesn't make sense to me; if you don't like the halls fine apply for a transfer to a different place if you can once you have moved in (never know you may like your room/place). If you aren't allowed think of it this way its 9 months and then your year is over and you can move out and find a place to your liking with a group of mates.

Additionally, you are going to university to study and get a good degree to help your job prospects, NOT to go out and get smashed which you post is making sound like you are wanting to go to uni for the social aspect. This is what I find really silly with some people who choose to go to university why are you wasting 3-4 years and over 45k in cash to get in debt if you aren't going to uni to get a good degree.

This post is not meant to sound mean but I can see some people misunderstand or misconstrue it based off how it's written. Hope your halls isn't as bad as you think it is.

TLDR: GO TO LEEDS it's your first choice why change it because of student accommodation. If its **** well apply for a transfer, if you can't get different accommodation next year with friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaterlowJ)
    Hello
    Now I recently got my accomadation offer from Leeds, the university that I've wanted to go to since the start of my a levels, and simply put the accomadation that I've been offered is not exactly the one I wanted. Now I'm not being picky but the halls are Liberty Dock and I've been reading reviews looking at photos of the rooms and it seems to be a 50/50 experience, some people give it 4 stars saying that the rooms are environment are brilliant but people draw mention to the fact that the halls are 50 minutes walk from the campus, and that the accomadation is split up between the 3 universities in Leeds, some people say the social side is really good, because the halls are so far away the people tend to stick together. And it is also rated as the worst accomadation available to Leeds students. My question is do I accept the offer as I have really wanted to go to Leeds and just hope that I have a good experience or are the weaknesses in location and possibly social side enough to maybe make me defer my place or go for my second choice in Liverpool, I've tried to ask to have my flat changed but they said it can't be done until October, and I don't really want to move into a new flat late. I guess my main question is would a bad hall massively affect my overall experience?
    Thanks
    People aren't guaranteed accommodation at their insurance choice, you'll probably end up worse off if you switch to Liverpool.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.