The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science

So I got my AS results back and they were... okay. The main disappointment was my C in chemistry (4 marks off a B, so maybe a remark will help?) and it's kind of made me rethink my career path and subject choices. If I dropped chemistry, is it still possible for me to study biomedical science at university? I've found some courses where chemistry is just 'preferred' rather than 'essential' but I'm still unsure. Any help is great!
(put the topic as medicine because there wasn't a biomed option)
Reply 1
Original post by SophCowan18
So I got my AS results back and they were... okay. The main disappointment was my C in chemistry (4 marks off a B, so maybe a remark will help?) and it's kind of made me rethink my career path and subject choices. If I dropped chemistry, is it still possible for me to study biomedical science at university? I've found some courses where chemistry is just 'preferred' rather than 'essential' but I'm still unsure. Any help is great!

Right so here's the thing my results were abysmal CBCAA (A* student at GCSE). Chemistry and Biology CC, my chemistry teacher told me to look at other courses such as biomedical sciences but I am definitely not if you are passionate (and willing to make the commitment) about doing a career path you follow it. A plus side is your science subjects are linear so they aren't affected by the AS results you received ask for some advice from your teachers (but don't let them deter you for wrong reasons). Another thing, if you can put the effort in next year and you can show this to your teachers I'm sure they will give you a reasonable grade, being realistic of course. Carry on searching through University entry requirements. At the very least you have Chemistry AS which may be sufficient for the course you want to do. Good Luck. Here's a thread that may be relevant to what you are looking for as well http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1025582
Original post by SophCowan18

Yes there are biomedical science courses available, one of my mates didn't do chemistry at a level and got into uni to do biomedical science. However he and many others who didn't do chemistry failed the first year and now have to retake it. But when i spoke to him, he said 2 of the 7 modules were chemistry based and it was so hard for him. I on the other hand got a C in my first as levels, then i carried on with chemistry and resat one of my as papers, i got a B overall in chemistry, and i am much more prepared going into this course as i have some solid chemistry knowledge which u need for the degree.

I would recommend doing something similar to what I did. I hope that helps!
Hey All!
I've been accepted at Uni for Biomedical Sciences through clearing .... Without Biology or Chemistry Alevels...
I have a strong interest in studying post grad med ......
Should I be doing anything to prepare for the Biomed sciences course ... It's starts in a month

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending