Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need a crash course on finding accomodation. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

So I'm an international student who's going to be starting university next month, and unfortunately the university has allocated me housing which I cannot afford (around £1k over my budget) so I'm scrambling now to find a room which is all new to me.

Appreciate if you guys could educate me a bit on some general do's and don't before I commit into anything. I'm currently using Spareroom, and one question I had is whether listings by "former flatmates" are safe to deal with?

If anyone could give me the general process of how this all works it'd be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightning count)
    Hi all,

So I'm an international student who's going to be starting university next month, and unfortunately the university has allocated me housing which I cannot afford (around £1k over my budget) so I'm scrambling now to find a room which is all new to me.

Appreciate if you guys could educate me a bit on some general do's and don't before I commit into anything. I'm currently using Spareroom, and one question I had is whether listings by "former flatmates" are safe to deal with?

If anyone could give me the general process of how this all works it'd be much appreciated.
    At the very least get a skype tour of the place- do not sign for somewhere without seeing it with your own eyes first. If you don't have a UK based guarentor ask how much rent the landlord will want up front. Remember prices normally don't include bills- these are usually around £40pm.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest while it's a good idea to try and chat to potential flatmates via skype briefly you can't fully vet how a place will be until you live there... no one is going to advertise a room with 'we're messy slobs who will never clean and will play loud music til 4am everyday and we bullied the last girl into dropping out' so you've just got to do your best and if they seem decent then go for it, you'd be taking the same risk in halls so try not to worry about it

you can also look at private halls in your town, these tend to be much cheaper and will still include bills etc, they're often bigger/nicer than university managed halls and frequently have enough spare rooms left that you can swap flats if you're unhappy

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.