Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone cycled much in germany? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just moved here (in the north, near Hamburg) and started cycling... I was excited thinking everything will be set up for cyclists only it seems to be set up for commuters/casual riders only. I've been shouted at three times for not being in a cycle lane... once there wasn't one, twice it was on the left and I didn't see it and then couldn't get across... I wasn't ever holding anyone up, the roads weren't busy. I just looked it up and it looks like bike lanes are mandatory... which is fine if you're pottering to work but what if I wanna go for a 50-100 miler or do some proper intervals etc? Do I have to stop at every road crossing/negotiate pedestrians and casual riders? Really disappointed

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I lived in Germany for 2 years. It's a pretty interesting place. And a great one too!

For Germans, the rules are everything. There are often designated sides of the pavement. One side is just for walking and one side is just for cycling. Cyclists and pedestrians get extremely annoyed if you break these rules. Same with the cycle lanes.

It's just the way the Germans do things.

If you have any other questions on life in Germany, feel free to ask!

Best of luck,

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Hi there,

I lived in Germany for 2 years. It's a pretty interesting place. And a great one too!

For Germans, the rules are everything. There are often designated sides of the pavement. One side is just for walking and one side is just for cycling. Cyclists and pedestrians get extremely annoyed if you break these rules. Same with the cycle lanes.

It's just the way the Germans do things.

If you have any other questions on life in Germany, feel free to ask!

Best of luck,

SS
    yeah this is the problem... it's all great for meandering around or riding to work/shops without worrying about traffic etc but terrible for if you want to go for a proper ride as there are loads of riders around on those city bikes going super slow that you have to get around/walkers/roads to cross

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.