Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I intend to start studying English Language and Japanese in a month's time, but I'm unsure whether I should choose to do TESOL and Japanese instead. I've been told I can change it if I want but I'm still undecided. I was happy with my A-levels, getting 3bs in Japanese, eng lang and lit but I feel like TESOL is more to do with what I want to do in the future... teach English in Japan. I guess the thing swaying me from changing my degree is that I also like the idea of being able to English language at a secondary level in England, which I would also like to do. I don't think I can teach english language with a TESOL and Japanese degree.

I could really use some help, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanJ98)
    I intend to start studying English Language and Japanese in a month's time, but I'm unsure whether I should choose to do TESOL and Japanese instead. I've been told I can change it if I want but I'm still undecided. I was happy with my A-levels, getting 3bs in Japanese, eng lang and lit but I feel like TESOL is more to do with what I want to do in the future... teach English in Japan. I guess the thing swaying me from changing my degree is that I also like the idea of being able to English language at a secondary level in England, which I would also like to do. I don't think I can teach english language with a TESOL and Japanese degree.

I could really use some help, thanks
    Hi,
    Keep to the course you want to do, if you want to pursue teaching gain yourself a PGCE after you've graduated. You may change your mind and not want to teach anymore so don't base your whole course on teaching, stick to your first option, it makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I worked hard for my place at uni in English language but I was debating whether to switch to the linguistics course as its a bit more relevant to what I might do after uni. My mum however says to stay on the English language course because if I change my mind I can always fall back on teaching English. I'm going to do the English Lang course (which is similar to the linguistics course anyway) and if I change my mind this year I'll ask my uni if I can switch. Maybe you could do the same? Stay on the course and ask your uni how flexible they are with switching courses then if you start to change your mind you can switch. Or just stay on the course and do a PGCE after uni ??

ReputationRep:
    Since you are currently undecided on whether you want to teach English in Japan or English language here, I would stay with your current degree choice. If you apply through certain English teaching programs, an TEFL qualitifaction isn't always necessary. Your English Language study will almost certainly be useful for teaching English anyway. Furthermore, if you do make the descision to teach English in Japan, then you can always get a TEFL certificate alongside your main degree. If you make the decision to teach here in England, you will most certainly need an English language degree in order to teach it.
    I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard that some teaching English programs, such as JET, favour people who have knowledge of other areas outside of Japanese, such as another language, or in your case English langiage. Don't quote me on that though haha.

Of course, it really depends on what you feel passionate about, because then you will truly acheive

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.