Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cant afford dentist and im out of options :/ watch

Ok, so i'm heading into my 3rd year at uni, and being a mature student (24) i knew i am not eligible to receive free dental care anymore.

Since i was younger although my front teeth are all nice and straight and strong (...apart from the odd chip from an old tongue bar) my back teeth however are another story and ive had the odd filling on my molars. However over the last 2 years each tooth that was filled previously has fell out two of which took half of the tooth which shows no sign of decay with it, which is concerning. I suspect im grinding my teeth in my sleep as i wake up often with pieces of my teeth in my mouth.

ive avoided going to my NHS dentist because of the cost (£53.90 seems like a reasonable amount, but honestly my student loans doesn't stretch that far once ive payed my rent, travel expenses and compulsory trips for uni). My parents cant help as their both disabled.

I managed to get an appointment with the Birmingham dental hospital who removed 2 of the teeth for free, which didn't bother me as much as they are far back in my mouth so not noticeable. when the recent teeth started to break, as their further forward i tried to get another free appointment only to be told they have implemented a new catchment area which i dont live in.

so literally im out of options, ive called dentists asking if they would allow payment plan instalments and no luck there, ive heard of things like financing but i don't have the credit score. Whist trying to sort this out i've brushed my teeth religiously, ensuring i floss every tooth to prevent anything worse however the sensitivity has gotten so bad its not just hot or cold that sets it off, but food and drink just touching it, sets of a pain so bad i spend 10 minutes clutching my face trying to stop it, its more painful that when my wisdom teeth came through.

i was told to fill in a HC1 for low income however ive been told because my student loan counts as income it likely to be refused, plus it can take 6 weeks to process which if i have to put up with this pain much longer i'd have a better chance pulling the teeth out myself (dont worry, im not that stupid). Does anyone know of any solutions that might help, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    If you live in Birmingham, try to book an appointment with the university dentistry school. I believe its free as you'll have students operating on you. A friend of mine had an extraction done this way for free in Leeds.

(Original post by vela1)
    If you live in Birmingham, try to book an appointment with the university dentistry school. I believe its free as you'll have students operating on you. A friend of mine had an extraction done this way for free in Leeds.
    Thanks for the reply, but the Birmingham dental hospital i mentioned is the Birmingham Dental school students took the teeth out when i had my last appointment. Thanks to the new catchment area of people living in Birmingham i cant get an appointment there having tried several times.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, so i'm heading into my 3rd year at uni, and being a mature student (24) i knew i am not eligible to receive free dental care anymore.

Since i was younger although my front teeth are all nice and straight and strong (...apart from the odd chip from an old tongue bar) my back teeth however are another story and ive had the odd filling on my molars. However over the last 2 years each tooth that was filled previously has fell out two of which took half of the tooth which shows no sign of decay with it, which is concerning. I suspect im grinding my teeth in my sleep as i wake up often with pieces of my teeth in my mouth.

ive avoided going to my NHS dentist because of the cost (£53.90 seems like a reasonable amount, but honestly my student loans doesn't stretch that far once ive payed my rent, travel expenses and compulsory trips for uni). My parents cant help as their both disabled.

I managed to get an appointment with the Birmingham dental hospital who removed 2 of the teeth for free, which didn't bother me as much as they are far back in my mouth so not noticeable. when the recent teeth started to break, as their further forward i tried to get another free appointment only to be told they have implemented a new catchment area which i dont live in.

so literally im out of options, ive called dentists asking if they would allow payment plan instalments and no luck there, ive heard of things like financing but i don't have the credit score. Whist trying to sort this out i've brushed my teeth religiously, ensuring i floss every tooth to prevent anything worse however the sensitivity has gotten so bad its not just hot or cold that sets it off, but food and drink just touching it, sets of a pain so bad i spend 10 minutes clutching my face trying to stop it, its more painful that when my wisdom teeth came through.

i was told to fill in a HC1 for low income however ive been told because my student loan counts as income it likely to be refused, plus it can take 6 weeks to process which if i have to put up with this pain much longer i'd have a better chance pulling the teeth out myself (dont worry, im not that stupid). Does anyone know of any solutions that might help, thankyou
    I would suggest asking your uni's student support for advice as i'm sure they will have dealt with simmilar situations many times before and have a good idea of what options you have.
    Is there any way you could fundraise? Maybe something like a bake sale or go fund me? It may at least help towards the costs.
    In the meantime I suggest you look online for advice on managing the sensitivity etc.

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.