Turn on thread page Beta

Dixons Retail group (Currys Dixons PCWorld Link) watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else hate them??? Recommendation..
    Never buy off thm as theyre too expensive (try amazon dell etc)
    Coverplan...dont even think about it

ReputationRep:
    f*kk

I have been considering making this thread myself but feared I woulds get sued by them.

Dixons are closing down by the bucket load, the general public are cottoning on the fact they are rip off merchants, with $$ hungery saleman selling the public crap.

I tend to buy all HIFI related stuff from either Superfi or Richer Sounds. Richer Sounds 3 year warranty for goods under £500 costs £10 and they will give you a free loan machine while its in repair.

The last time I bought anything from Dixons was in 1993, when we bought a 386 for £1400 (I am sure a lot of you realise whats wrong here).
    I don't hate DSG, I personaly despite them, and the more Dixons that close down the better, hopefully all the people will get jobs in better shops like Richersounds (voted the best british company to work for).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaffakidds)
    Anyone else hate them??? Recommendation..
    Never buy off thm as theyre too expensive (try amazon dell etc)
    Coverplan...dont even think about it
    yea its stupidly expensive, i use the net/richer sosunds etc

ReputationRep:
    they are morons they still owe me £60

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that gets me about the Dixons group is there cheapo DVD players (MATSUI) which are poor quality are like £50, identical units are sold with a different badge at Richers for £20.

I don't always find Richer Sounds that brillaint but at least they are honest and you can get good deals, Superfi is also very good not always the cheapest.

The Dixon's group also seem to have poor ranges of stuff, even camera's which is how they started. Dixon's just be like Jessops but expanded into the empire it is now.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Just do what I did...

Visit your local pc world and set the passwords on all of the PDAs to something and leave.

I had the passwords in the wessex gate retail park pc world set to "arse" for about 3 months before they noticed and removed all the batteries to reset them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Just do what I did...

Visit your local pc world and set the passwords on all of the PDAs to something and leave.

I had the passwords in the wessex gate retail park pc world set to "arse" for about 3 months before they noticed and removed all the batteries to reset them
    LOL i never thought of that, i'll pop down tommorow

ReputationRep:
    Just do what I did...

Hehe, me and my mate used to try and vandalise Dixon's owned stores. We would go into Dixons and ask about chipsets on the PCs they were selling, they would say "eerr its Intel" we would be "No, not the processor, what chipset is the motherboard based"..

I may try and find a branch that sells HIFI amplifers and start quizing them on indepenance and sensiviity levels of the amps.

The thing I hate most about DSG and I am amazed this is legal, they charge £14.99 for a USB printer cable. This cable costs 80p at your local computer shop and is identical apart form the packaging.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like them. There laptops are too expensive

ReputationRep:
    i bought a cable filter for my broadband from pcworld for £15.99 and they had the same thing in my local store for £1.99. my fault for not checking out the local first
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Hehe, me and my mate used to try and vandalise Dixon's owned stores. We would go into Dixons and ask about chipsets on the PCs they were selling, they would say "eerr its Intel" we would be "No, not the processor, what chipset is the motherboard based"..

I may try and find a branch that sells HIFI amplifers and start quizing them on indepenance and sensiviity levels of the amps.

The thing I hate most about DSG and I am amazed this is legal, they charge £14.99 for a USB printer cable. This cable costs 80p at your local computer shop and is identical apart form the packaging.
    I do like to chip in occassionally when they're "advising" people - usually people just off to uni who's parents are buying them a laptop which they're being advised to have at the highest spec imaginable (to browse the web, play music and produce work with)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    i bought a cable filter for my broadband from pcworld for £15.99 and they had the same thing in my local store for £1.99. my fault for not checking out the local first
    Yep those £15.99 ones are poor quality as well, pretty much identical to the £1.99 ones. I paid £10 for my microfilters but they were hand made by the UK by some guy so they will work with caller ID units. The electronics inside is quite fast compared to the £15 PCWORLD sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    I do like to chip in occassionally when they're "advising" people - usually people just off to uni who's parents are buying them a laptop which they're being advised to have at the highest spec imaginable (to browse the web, play music and produce work with)
    Hehe, I bought a lovely £20 computer (PII 266, 256MB RAM was a bargain for the price) and a monitor out of a skip for my sister do her A level computing on. Its fully loaded with VB6 and Office 2000.

I never understood why people spend so much on uni computers.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hehe, I bought a lovely £20 computer (PII 266, 256MB RAM was a bargain for the price) and a monitor out of a skip for my sister do her A level computing on. Its fully loaded with VB6 and Office 2000.

just rescued another 4 computers from a skip (Apple Mac G3s but without any hard disks)

I never understand why people throw pcs away when there are charities like computeraid desperate for them...

ReputationRep:

I think its a oneupmanship thing, ie mines bigger than urs, although i intend to spend quite a bit on a beautiful ibook and extras :rolleyes: , but i'm paying for the beauty

ReputationRep:
    just rescued another 4 computers from a skip (Apple Mac G3s but without any hard disks)

I never understand why people throw pcs away when there are charities like computeraid desperate for them...
    I tend to recycle them, the PII 266 is getting a bit old and my sister needs an XP based machine, the budget has gone down to £150 now, which means I have £90 to spend on a new motherboard/case/processor and RAM. So the hard drive/cd-rom unit etc out the old system will have to go into the new one.

I doubt a bare bones 6 year old PC will be any use to anybody. I admit to throwing some old 486's away but I didn't know where to depose of them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I doubt a bare bones 6 year old PC will be any use to anybody. I admit to throwing some old 486's away but I didn't know where to depose of them.
    these guys: http://www.computer-aid.org/ will always take em - no matter how old they are (although they say they have a preference for PII and above)

ReputationRep:
    Ok I work for Currys, and unlike all the other employers I have ever worked for, I do feel the need to defend it, as it is a great company, and I like working for them…and no I ain’t been brainwashed!

Dixons are closing down by the bucket load, the general public are cottoning on the fact they are rip off merchants, with $$ hungery saleman selling the public crap.
    Only Dixons high street actually, because it was found that the larger retail stores on retail parks are more profitable. DSG are the biggest electrical sellers in the country, and their profit keeps increasing every year, due to ever increasing sales, obviously driven by more customers. No sales ppl that I work with are money hungry in the slightest. The commission brackets are worked out so that selling the best of the best products earn you more money, so it pays to care about the customers so 1. you sell a customer the best quality product you can 2. the customer will be satisfied 3. the customer will come back or recommend to others, that how sales men make their money by giving good customer service, so if you could call them money hungry by trying to give you the best service possible, so be it. Even our periodic bonus is based on customer service NOT sales figures. We get our bonus worked out on how we perform on a mystery shopper test and then also 10 phone calls to customers that have shopped there.

The last time I bought anything from Dixons was in 1993
    1993 that is over 10 years ago! if your complaints were to actually have some credit, you should have at least have shopped there recently!

I don't hate DSG, I personaly despite them, and the more Dixons that close down the better, hopefully all the people will get jobs in better shops like Richersounds (voted the best british company to work for).
    That’s kind of you, wishing that I lose my job, and I have no idea what a Richersound is!

Another thing that gets me about the Dixons group is there cheapo DVD players (MATSUI) which are poor quality are like £50, identical units are sold with a different badge at Richers for £20.
    Matsui DVD is £29.99 actually, not much difference!

Just do what I did...

I have to admitt that is very funny

Well buy it there then, I have to admitt scarts and usb’s are a rip off, but loads of ppl do buy them, so they must be doing something right!

I hope some exec sees this post and give s me a big fat bonus for my trouble Nah seriously DSG is a good company, and believe it or not they do care about customers and not only about profit and if its been over 10 years since you last visited a store I think you’ve got absolutly no room to comment!

ReputationRep:
    dont know or understand why but my dad would/will never let me or my sisters buy anything from this group/chain.

if we ever did he'd march us straight back and make us take it back.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    The best thing is when you go in there, ask them about a product which they then take to the manager who reads thepakaging to you as if you couldn't do it yourself.

MB

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.