Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got A's in Physics chemistry and maths and a B in further maths. The A in physics was with very minimal effort as i really didnt enjoy it and the B in further maths was with loads of work as i really enjoy maths. Do you think its better to just suck it up and do physics for another year at A2 as its obviously much easier or to do further maths even though i know i have no chance of an A* for A2. I'm wanting to do a chemistry degree btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tombellsdfg)
    I got A's in Physics chemistry and maths and a B in further maths. The A in physics was with very minimal effort as i really didnt enjoy it and the B in further maths was with loads of work as i really enjoy maths. Do you think its better to just suck it up and do physics for another year at A2 as its obviously much easier or to do further maths even though i know i have no chance of an A* for A2. I'm wanting to do a chemistry degree btw

Firstly, well done on some awesome results!

Uni's, especially when applying to take a science, like you to take another science/maths subject as well, and so I would recommend keeping physics on as you appear better at it an would give you a higher chance of achieving A's or higher, however if it's not what you enjoy don't do it. If it has no relevance to your future degree then is it necessary to keep it on because if you don't enjoy it you shouldn't have to torture yourself keeping it on. However, uni's don't really like you taking similar subject so, so in this case taking maths and further maths wouldn't necessarily make you stand out from the crowd as much whereas physics would. An as further maths at grade b is very acceptable and you should be proud of yourself, however you would have much better chances getting into uni with a better variation of subjects instead of just chemistry and maths.

Chemistry degrees can be hard to get into and so an AAA would better your chances, especially at a respectable university as opposed to AAB which may make the university overlook you.

However it is completely your decision whether you follow maths because you are passionate and are working hard at it which is good

Just remember that if you spent a lot of time revising for further maths and you drop it then you would have more time to focus on your 3 remaining subjects meaning you might even get A* if you work hard enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_r)
    Firstly, well done on some awesome results!

Uni's, especially when applying to take a science, like you to take another science/maths subject as well, and so I would recommend keeping physics on as you appear better at it an would give you a higher chance of achieving A's or higher, however if it's not what you enjoy don't do it. If it has no relevance to your future degree then is it necessary to keep it on because if you don't enjoy it you shouldn't have to torture yourself keeping it on. However, uni's don't really like you taking similar subject so, so in this case taking maths and further maths wouldn't necessarily make you stand out from the crowd as much whereas physics would. An as further maths at grade b is very acceptable and you should be proud of yourself, however you would have much better chances getting into uni with a better variation of subjects instead of just chemistry and maths.

Chemistry degrees can be hard to get into and so an AAA would better your chances, especially at a respectable university as opposed to AAB which may make the university overlook you.

However it is completely your decision whether you follow maths because you are passionate and are working hard at it which is good

Just remember that if you spent a lot of time revising for further maths and you drop it then you would have more time to focus on your 3 remaining subjects meaning you might even get A* if you work hard enough
    Cheers for taking the time to reply i never thought about the fact that all my revision was focused on further maths and that, as you say, could possibly hinder me in achieving even better results. So yeah i think ill just suck it up and do the 1 more year of physics as it seems to have more pros even though im not the keenest on it . Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for taking the time to reply i never thought about the fact that all my revision was focused on further maths and that, as you say, could possibly hinder me in achieving even better results. So yeah i think ill just suck it up and do the 1 more year of physics as it seems to have more pros even though im not the keenest on it . Thank you again
    No problem, good luck next year!

ReputationRep:
    Do physics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.